+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stockfisch Records

I'm Alan.

Default Stockfisch Records

I bought an Allan Taylor Record from Stockfisch Records and was impressed by the sound quality they do some nice pressings
    They have also started doing what they call DMM CD

Stockfisch Records DMM CD

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Jez.

I have a CD of theirs... It mentions how they go to great lengths over recording quality etc and that they use B&W 801's of some sort for monitoring (I can't be arsed to go find it and see which Mk 801's etc). The SQ is good, and a bit better than average, but not really in the demo quality class. I'd put Norah Jones recordings ahead on SQ...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andrew.

I just had this come from Germany. Chris Jones - Roadhouses and Automobiles.

I was lucky that i'd never heard the album bar one track, as I'm aware it's played to death at hifi shows but the sound is fantastic I must admit. Double LP, 45 RPM.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Andrew.

It's interesting that they say the best way to set antiskate is to use a blank record and adjust antiskate until the arm is stationary, about as many people believe this is as the best way to do it and about as many do not?

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
    It's interesting that they say the best way to set antiskate is to use a blank record and adjust antiskate until the arm is stationary, about as many people believe this is as the best way to do it and about as many do not?
    I thought that idea was discredited years ago. Anyway, who has blank records? I've been messing about with audio for fifty years and I've never seen one, apart from the back of a single sided 78.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

I have a blank record on the B side of a 12" single, i tried this method but found that to get it to stay still the as had to be on 3+g for a 1.75g tracking weight, In the end i preferred it on 2+ using the NIMA's small dangly weight thingy!

My System:

I'm Mike.

To me Stockfish records is about as tempting as synthetic steak!
    Yes, well made, but also really, really unnatural sounding.

Setting antiskating is difficult, similar to telling fortunes in tea leafs i'd say.
    One way is the mentioned "stationary on a blank disc" which is probably correct for some situations. One issue with this method is that the diamond makes contact with the vinyl at the very tip of the diamond in ONE spot. Normally the diamond makes contact with the vinyl on its two flanks, not the tip.
    On the other hand, making yer stylus track well on the HiFi News Test LP skating test track at +18dB over nominal level is about as relevant as chosing springs for yer car as if it would carry around 15tonnes of load at all times.

Chose a representative track;
    Listen, reconfigure, listen again.. Repeat as necessary!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've been messing about with audio for fifty years and I've never seen one, apart from the back of a single sided 78.
    http://www.recordcuttingblanks.com/

it took me 4 seconds to find them
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Werner.

Geoff,
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Anyway, who has blank records? I've been messing about with audio for fifty years and I've never seen one, apart from the back of a single sided 78.
    Joan Armatrading’s ”How Cruel“ (1979) has a blank B side.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Simon.

I also use a blank 'B' side of a single. In my case a 10'' St Etienne promo. I just set the anti skate until the arm is stationary. It seems to work for me but I appreciate that it isn't a perfect representation of real world conditions but it takes the guess work out.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread