+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mains Cable Query.

I'm Kevin.

Pop it in the freezer for 20 hours and see if it sounds better?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Or on top of a space heater to burn it in.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    And yes, Gordon, it is ALL about getting more from the music.
    I'm sure that's how it starts out for most people................

I'm Marcus.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    This is probably the main point. For many, it's much more about getting a 'sound' they like rather than about the music. Sorry if that sounds patronising, it isn't meant to be but there are definitely two distinct sides to this hobby.

In my other hobby of slot racing - which is also male dominated - there is the same sort of split. There are those for whom all that matters is that the car is as accurate as possible, with every feature modelled, every decal applied in exactly the right place and if they find any imperfection, they scrap it all and start again. I just wanna race and beat the other buggers who think they can outdrive me!!

The two sides have a sort of uneasy coexistence but still think of themselves as having the same hobby. Sound familiar?
    Oh, for sure, I get exactly what you mean. What I meant to say is, yes, for me the 'other' cables do improve the music, but they aren't exactly cheap, and should not be viewed as something you can't live without. I can listen to music through the cheap speakers in most shops and enjoy it plenty, I just enjoy it more with said cables.

If it works for you, and you like the sound, and you are prepared to bear the cost, it's buyer's choice, and buyer beware. You could say the same for any component.

I would rather win in a junk-pile than lose in a Ferrari, but winning in a Ferrari is better still.

What is a Ferrari in hi-fi terms though, is something nobody can agree on - you can't race two rigs against each other, apart from loudness and I guess distortion. Or more likely, I am talking rubbish!
    Last edited by bronzeage; 21-11-2016 at 14:21. Reason: weird emoticon
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

I'm martin.

I'm using Mark Grant leads bought on eBay for a reasonable sum and they work fine, although I use Studio Connections speaker cable which i like the sound of, so like someone earlier I might try to source a couple of cables by them to try.
    Some interesting/funny replies here, all good natured, everyone in good mood?
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm charles.

I replaced my Chord Signature speaker cable (rip off) with Belkin Pure AV - which cost me precisely 1/100th the cost of the Chord - and it sounds just as good - in other words, no difference.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    I replaced my Chord Signature speaker cable (rip off) with Belkin Pure AV - which cost me precisely 1/100th the cost of the Chord - and it sounds just as good - in other words, no difference.
    I have the Belkin Pure AV cable and Chord Odyssey 2 and I fancy I can hear a difference although so small that I might doubt I could pass a blind test. Still, I have a preference betwixt them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by archiesdad View Post
    Some interesting/funny replies here, all good natured, everyone in good mood?
    So far. Even if some of it is a load of old boll........
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678