+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caiman with - AKG K701 or ??

Default Caiman with - AKG K701 or ??

So I am currently looking around for a new pair of high end headphones, and at present im being drawn more towards the AKG K701's.
    Their wide sound stage, great detail and looks are drawing me ever closer to them. However I have a bit of a niggle....
    I have read that plenty of people think they lack in the way of bass. Given that I listen to a fair bit of bass heavy music along with Pop/Rock, Chillout, Jazz this is quite important in my eyes.

My question is, therefore, whether people think they would be well suited to my music taste or whether I should look at something else.
    I have looked at the HD650, DT880 and they all have there ups and downs, and are all in my price range.

I will be running whatever I decided to get through the Caiman by the way.

Stan:
    If you read this thread, I would love to know what you think of your HD650's and K701's with the Caiman and which one you think is best suited to my music taste.

Many thanks in advance for any input you might have.
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Arcam DIVA A70 QED Reference Audio Evolution & QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs
    BK Gemini 2 QED Performance Audio 1
    QED Qonduit Mains Conditioner QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Denon AH-D5000, Shure SE210, Goldring DR150

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

I'm notAlone.

I used to have somme Senns, but now I use Audio Technicas.
    A W1000 at home and a M50 for traveling. If you like nice, clean, monitor bass, then you probably need a ATH-M50.

Of course, a K701 is a classic, but I can't comment.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm David.

got a Piaf of these turning up tomorow ...

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/superlux-hd681-headphones

Search tinterweb for them! Seem worth a crack for £18
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Go with a different set of headphones if your going to use the caiman as a headphone amp. The K701 REQUIRE a reallly good headphone amp, else the bass and the sound is just not that good. However a good amp and they sound freaking godly.
    I`m going to be getting a high quality dedicated preamp and use rca->headphone adaptor for mine soon. I havent heard the 650's through the caiman, but i`d imagine it would be much easier to drive.

Thanks for all your replies.
    Ideally I'd like to stick with the Caiman Headphone amp, though depending on price and my wallet, I might upgrade to a dedicated amp at some point in the future.
    I wont be using whatever I decide to buy with anything portable, it will always be attached to an amp of sorts.

I'm looking to spend in the region of £150-£250 but might be able to justify slightly more than £250 if need be.
    I'm basically looking for the best that my money can buy, whilst giving me enough of a soundstage and detailing to easily pick out and place instruments in the music, but at the same time be laid back enough to allow hours of listening.

These are the headphones I have in my list to consider (In no particular order):
    • AKG K701
    • Sennheiser HD650
    • Grado SR325is (Only if I can find them cheap enough)
    • Grado SR225i
    • Denon AH-D2000
    • Sony MDR-SA5000
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

Default K701 and Caiman

Hi

I am using (and I think a few others on here) K701 with the Caiman and if they are under driven and bass shy then I am deaf (what/pardon )
    I use WAD 25T speakers with a good valve amp and there is plenty of bass on both them and the AKG's.
    The lack of bass rumour seems to come from a mutual slagging match between Sennheiser and AKG users on some other less pleasant fora. There is someone on this forum who has both 650 and 701 and has commented before about them. He may come along and comment later. I just the the 701 and think they are great.

Nick
    Last edited by NickB; 11-12-2009 at 06:59. Reason: spelling
    Nick

UK - Technics SP10, EPA 500, AT33SA - Roonserver on i5 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet 1000 PRO CI - Magico S5 - Finite Elemente Wall Shelf

Spain - Roonserver on i7 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Ergo IX

Well I got a K701, amongst a few others, and I use it for reggae music at times. And with the tweaks I managed to do on my own Caiman, after using my HD800 to perfect them, reproduction from the K701 will be hard to beat by any of the more expensive stand alone headphone amps.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    got a Piaf of these turning up tomorow ...

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/superlux-hd681-headphones

Search tinterweb for them! Seem worth a crack for £18
    What do you think of them Hamish?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm David.

Should get them today jerry, il let you know!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    Hi

I am using (and I think a few others on here) K701 with the Caiman and if they are under driven and bass shy then I am deaf (what/pardon )
    I use WAD 25T speakers with a good valve amp and there is plenty of bass on both them and the AKG's.
    The lack of bass rumour seems to come from a mutual slagging match between Sennheiser and AKG users on some other less pleasant fora. There is someone on this forum who has both 650 and 701 and has commented before about them. He may come along and comment later. I just the the 701 and think they are great.

Nick
    Thats just what I needed to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Well I got a K701, amongst a few others, and I use it for reggae music at times. And with the tweaks I managed to do on my own Caiman, after using my HD800 to perfect them, reproduction from the K701 will be hard to beat by any of the more expensive stand alone headphone amps.
    I take it then, if I got the K701's the Caiman would drive them well. If I then performed the headphone amp tweaks that you mentioned, they should sound a little bet better. Is that right?
    James

My System:

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast