+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a R2R....

I'm Steve.

Default Need a R2R....

I have just been given some 7" tapes. Moody Blues, Beatles and Mike Oldifeld in concert 1974 among others. All are not pre-recorded, so I have no way of telling if the quality is any good!

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

How exciting - all those various tapes full of surprises!! Have fun & good luck finding a player!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

Yeah, that's gonna be a load of fun! I'd love to have an excuse to litter my lounge with a r2r of some sort!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Steve.

they could all be rubbish! I do not know what they were recorded from at all. I do not even know what type of machine uses these tapes!

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I have just been given some 7" tapes. Moody Blues, Beatles and Mike Oldifeld in concert 1974 among others. All are not pre-recorded, so I have no way of telling if the quality is any good!

Those Grey & White hard plastic Agfa/Scotch cases are sought after now, i had tons of em..

I'm Steve.

There is another smaller box with some more tapes without boxes, a couple of basic looking Akai mics and a demagnetizer that is a 110V model.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    they could all be rubbish! I do not know what they were recorded from at all. I do not even know what type of machine uses these tapes!
    Any open reel machine which will play 1/4' tapes. may be recorded at 3.75 or 7.5ips! hopefully the latter for better sound..

I'm Nick.

Mike Oldfield 'In Concert 1974' is likely to be excellent! His '2nd House' live performance on BBC 2 from around that time featured Steve Hillage, Mike Ratledge from Soft Machine, Viv Stanshall - a fantastic lineup.

My experience of these old tapes is that they are often very listenable. People recording on R-R back in the day, especially those who catalogued and saved their recordings like these, tended to take care of the way they did things.

If you're interested, I'd be up for attempting a transfer of the Oldfield reel & the Simon & Garfunkel one... just hear what was on them! How well labelled are the contents of the other reels...??
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post

Mike Oldfield 'In Concert 1974' is likely to be excellent! His '2nd House' live performance on BBC 2 from around that time featured Steve Hillage, Mike Ratledge from Soft Machine, Viv Stanshall - a fantastic lineup.
    As you mentioned Hillage.. Wasnt Oldfield & his brother on Gong's 'Downwind' album even though hillage had nothing to do with it, just jogged mi memory..

I'm Nick.

He was definitely on the Pierre Moerlen's Gong Live album from a little later, and did some nice guitar on it as I recall. I do enjoy that phase of the Gong family evolution...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast