+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which one to choose Garrard 301 or 401???

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

However, I've no idea which one is actually the better built, if indeed there is a difference in that respect. Is one of them better built than the other, and if so, in what way? In fact, while we're at it, what are the actual differences (other than aesthetically) between the two? I'd like to know.

Regardless of that, there's no doubt Juha's got himself a superb T/T!

Marco.
    There are really strange and wonderfully stories about the first 301's. For example that the first ones were made of old bombs and all other scrap metal what was available. According to this source the bad quality metal is main reason why grey hammer pain is prone to flake of. Also the reason for this hammer paint was that metal was so bad quality that enamel would not stick to it. I am sure there is some truth about this.

Other thing what I read was that 401 was a upgrade from 301 but it never sold well and Garrard could not understand why. I assume reason being as Marco said earlier 401 is looking too modern and 301 more traditional looking. We are talking about 60's and 70's anyway.

I really am looking forward this project. I really like the modern TT's but for some strange reason they just feel a bit too fiddly and fragile for my taste, so best to try the bomb proof models .
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Loads of good advice from the knowledgeable people on here on a thread I started - if you haven't already found it. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3799

I haven't got round to doing anything much yet, but it still sounds awesome!

Welcome to the club, by the way!
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 06-12-2009 at 18:18.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Paul.

I have never seriously listened to a 301 but I do have a 401. I've heard all sorts of crap touted about them but IMO there are 3 mains factors in making sure they sound right.
    1, All the mechanics and electrics must be clean, tidy lubricated and working smoothly.
    2, It must be mounted properly, I have a slate plinth but have found heavy wooden plinths to be good as well.
    3, The Idler Wheel must be clean and the rubber good. If yours is a little cracked or tired looking give it a clean with IPA and then stick it is a bag of cooking oil and place it on top of the hot water tank for a day or 2. This will sort it out if its not too far gone.

The 401 is built like a tank and is all metal, the fact that these things can still run like new after all these years is really testament to them.

Much better than those dodgy looking DJ decks that some people rave on about all the time! lol
    ~Paul~

I'm notAlone.

*looking desperately at my P3 which has never been cleaned...*
    *going to make some popcorns for the "DJ decks" debate*
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Paul,

LOL@ the "dodgy looking DJ deck" thing, btw!

However...

The 401 is built like a tank and is all metal...
    What's that stuff made of around where it says 'Garrard 401' - isn't that plastic? If not, it looks like it. Also, aren't the switches on a 401 plastic (or plastic covered)?

As I've said, I've got no issues whatsoever with how a 401 sounds - it sounds fab, but to these (admittedly untrained eyes) the 301 looks far better built, at least in terms of the top plate used, which would make a difference to me if I was choosing which one to buy.

I guess also what I'm looking for is someone with the relevant knowledge to list a set of bullet points (or similar) which show the definitive differences between the two......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Loads of good advice from the knowledgeable people on here on a thread I started - if you haven't already found it. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3799

I haven't got round to doing anything much yet, but it still sounds awesome!

Welcome to the club, by the way!
    Thank you for the good thread, very good information in deed.

I do not like personally the look of state. Slate for me is very liveless and a bit dull. I prefer the luster and depth of red granite(myself coming from Finland), so I think my ultimate dream 401 plinth will need to wait untill I move back to home again.

12" Jelco is at the top of my list for the best tonearm for the pound fitted to a granite plinth.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Fella's,

Back in the mid seventies, people were throwing out their Lenco's and Garrards because they rumbled and grumbled their way through LP's played on them. The speed wasn't too consistant either and although they may have traded one set of problems for others when they adopted TD125's et al, the signal-noise issue can still be there, even with fancy plinths IMO.

Those "DJ" decks were originally HiFi grade decks with far better performance (except possibly feedback on the early ones) to those tired old idler decks. With modern mats and supports, the feedback issue barely exists, especially as the 1210 series now has rubber filling inside the plinth.

I'd love to locate and use my 401 again, but I have no doubts that my SL150 would eat it for breakfast, as it's cleaner in drive and rumble and the 150 was also better than the "armed" versions for feedback too for some reason..

Sorry all, but rose tinting of memories is a human condition..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

I'll always opt for the '401' but i have to admit that chrome plated control pannel looks really tacky

Hi Dave,

I'd love to locate and use my 401 again, but I have no doubts that my SL150 would eat it for breakfast, as it's cleaner in drive and rumble and the 150 was also better than the "armed" versions for feedback too for some reason..
    Sorry, mate, gonna have to totally disagree. I'm quite certain that, for example, Will's 401 with his D.I.Y Shroeder 12" arm would eat your SL150 for breakfast!!

Trust me, it sounds utterly superb, and in many ways is better than my 'race-tuned' Techie! Honestly, it's a gorgeous sounding T/T without a hint of rumble.

In fact, I've yet to hear a well set-up 301 or 401 in a decent plinth which suffers from rumble...

Sorry, you're WAY wrong on this one, dude!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Andre,

I'll always opt for the '401'...
    Out of interest, why? I'm trying to learn more about Garrards here!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast