+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New space saving system for Hamish :)

I'm David.

Default New space saving system for Hamish :)

I am soon to be building a small photography studio and would like to have a small system in there. It is to be computer based and no doubt will contain a Beresford of some sort.

Beond that I'm wondering if, for the sake of space, I should go for a pair of little active speakers? But don't really know where to start looking at that sort of thing?

The other option would be a tripath and a pair of bookshelf speakers. My home office I'm still running a bantam tripath and a pair of dynaudio a42's - very good sounds, if a touch lacking in bass - I'm guessing this is down to the tripath trying to drive 86dB speakers???? So would some more sensitive speakers help in this set up? Or a better amp?

please remeber full size hifi is absolutly not an option! And speakers need to be not much bigger than a pair of a42's if at all!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Have you got an ipod or similar? Just bought one of these for the kitchen - though mainly for radio - normal price would be nearly £300 with the ipod cable/remote! I'm well impressed for £60...

Might be a bit too lo-fi for what you're after, though, but a very small footprint, and the quality is excellent.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

One of what???
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

Blimey, that's cheap arnt those things like £250 normally?
    I might get one for the kitchen!
    Nice idea, but it def needs to be more hifi!
    The studio is going to be the second location for all my backups and so will have all my music on a hdd there so I might as well make use of it! I am also more than happy buying another caiman as a source with the pc. So it really just is small foot print amp and speakers that I need!

Hey stan, you out there? You made a little power amp to go with you dacs yet? You know it's a good idea!!

I'm David.

This http://www.russandrews.com/viewindex...RGCSIDMSCUTECD was another thought to keep costs down, I understand it is a rebranded product from the far east? Anyone have any thoughts?
    Come on hifi people I know there must be more out there with an opinion on all of this! Good active speakers anyone?
    I forgot to mention £400 is about max budget for amplification and speakers! Less than that would make me happier!
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 28-10-2009 at 23:14.

I'm Lee.

I've got a monitor audio i-deck. Actually, I have two. It's very good quality. Nice if you can find one. There are a few on ebay at the moment. Search for monitor audio ipod, or i deck. They retailed for £200 when they first came out. I got my 2nd one for £60 on ebay. A steal!
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    Blimey, that's cheap arnt those things like £250 normally?
    I might get one for the kitchen!
    Near £300 with the ipod/remote kit, but I think they are discontinued, hence the clearance price (£10 more for a sealed white version) - mine is in the kitchen, where I mainly want it for "talk" radio (Radio 5 Live, Radio 4) when I have to get up at silly-o'clock with the nipper - so yes, Hamish - it's a good idea to have one for the kitchen!

I can't find the link now, but Stan did produce a mini-amp, via his German(?) distributor?

How much moola do you want to spend - assume you are happy to go second hand? I'm guessing you will be fairly close to the speakers, and thinking maybe a set of active studio monitors would fit the bill - something like the M-Audio range, maybe?

http://www.maudio.co.uk/index.php?do...studiomonitors

EDIT: Took to long, you posted before me: I was going to suggest the CX8 (£305+VAT) - but let me know if you are interested, one of my best mates works for the owner of M-Audio and can get a discount I think.
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 28-10-2009 at 23:21.
    Alex

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/68323

I had the bigger versions with 8" cones, nice sound out of them. None of that high frequency harshness or anything.

I'm David.

Those m audio's any good?

And why was I never told about a stanamp?? Same size as the dac? Sounds intersting!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast