+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 117 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaf Row!

I'm Geoff.

At last. Finished GL75 platter. Two more coats of colour and a clear lacquer finish.

It'll be left to harden for a few days.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Looks fine Geoff. Nice job. Looking forward to the plinth.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Looks fine Geoff. Nice job. Looking forward to the plinth.
    Clean, service and refit of mechanical TT bits next and a couple of tweaks to the arm mounting. Could take a week or so. I'll need to be very careful not to mark the new paint.

I'm toying with making a brass thrust pad for the ball under the main bearing spindle to bear against. Many Lenco main bearings seem to lose the polythene end caps and end up leaking lubricant. I've found a batch of caps that fit better than the originals. Might pass a few on if there's interest.

The plinth design is in my head at the moment. I've got it worked out though. I'll have to make up a template for necessary cut-outs. I dare say there are templates online, but if I do it myself, I'll know it's right.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

One filthy GL75 motor:

One clean GL75 motor.

Just a the minimum of meths and a fine Scotchbrite pad and stiff art brush and job's done.

The back of the motor casing is loose, quite common, screws need securing. The tapered spindle has come up clean, but I'll give it a fine rub down in a while. Bearings seem very good and will just be relubed.

I'm Geoff.

GL75 motor. Oily bits.

Nose bearing: Slacken end nut. Remove thrust screw & nut. Remove circlip. Shake out bearing assembly & spring. Clean, regrease, reassemble with drop of oil on spindle at bearing. Rear bearing: Unscrew terminal block. Unscrew steel cover plate and remove Nylatron plate and bearing assembly. Clean, regrease, oil spindle at bearing, grease adjuster screw tip and reassemble. Adjust end play and lock the nut.

Completed motor. Shaft endplay is exactly right, spindle taper given fine rub down and polish. Tested, nice and quiet and running very smoothly. No more work needed!

Main bearing service next.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 08-11-2015 at 23:04.

I'm Grant.

Quality
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

GL75 main bearing. Stripped, cleaned and relubed. Quick easy job really, as long as you've got a pair of circlip pliers.

Before:

In bits:

After:

This bearing is in very good condition and has no slack. Even the Nylatron thrust pad shows little wear. New felt washer fitted and soaked in oil. The nylon end cap now has a zip tie around it as these are prone to leaking and coming loose and falling off.

Idler wheel assembly next.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 09-11-2015 at 17:02.

I'm Grant.

I will get a 75 refurbed by u mate
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I will get a 75 refurbed by u mate
    It's taking me long enough sorting mine out. Mind you, next one'll be quicker!

I'm Geoff.

A quickie. GL75 idler assembly stripped.

All cleaned. Given the arm a polish. The rubber bush/grommet at the slider end has been left in situ. Not a good idea to start pulling a fifty year old piece of rubber about I think. It seems perfectly serviceable and is gripping the bronze bearing bush firmly, so I've just cleaned it. The rubber idler rim was cleaned with isopropyl aolchohol/distilled water solution and then bagged to avoid contamination. The wheel bearing seems good and the two thin shim washers are OK, but I'll bung another thin washer behind the inner one to reduce end play.

Assemble and lube tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread