+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring Lenco GL75

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    No felt washer Geoff, I need to make one, unless you have a spare
    I think I've got a few knocking about. They are thicker than standard and can need slicing to half thickness with a sharp blade depending on how low the platter sits.

(Ignore the 'others'. They're just a bad influence )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I think I've got a few knocking about. They are thicker than standard and can need slicing to half thickness with a sharp blade depending on how low the platter sits.

(Ignore the 'others'. They're just a bad influence )
    They are a bad influence!

I have just knocked one up out of some felt you stick on chair legs to stop em making a noise.

It's just soaking in oil!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Why is there a notch cut out of the platter bearing alloy housing?

As there was no oil in my bearing I might have to strip the motor, however are these usually put together with grease rather than oil?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Geoff.

The notch is there to clear the motor.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

If you need to work on the motor, take a look at my blog.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...er-Next/page16

There's other stuff there you may find of interest.

I'm James.

Got the Lenco back together after installing new Desmo V blocks and platter bearing service.

Set up M55e with Jico SAS -Fricken amazing!

A couple of Sunday morning pics
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Jimbo; 17-04-2016 at 09:05. Reason: Spelling

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That's a nice looking thing, Jim... Love it!

How would you say it compares, sonically, with your VPI?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's a nice looking thing, Jim... Love it!

How would you say it compares, sonically, with your VPI?

Marco.
    Cheers Marco. Funnily I was just discussing this very question and it is quite a different presentation.

The M55e / Jico is a marriage made in heaven for the Lenco and does sound very good indeed with great balls, drive and detail. I would say the Lenco does better bass and has rock solid timing and is now very transparent in my system with the new V blocks allowing the cartridge to be set up to its optimum? Certainly very musical.

However we have done a back to back with the VPI / Denon 301 using the same recordings and there is quite a difference.
    The VPI/ Denon sounds even more detailed, which I found a bit of a shock! The Denon also floats all the instruments in a more transparent liquid way. There is even more natural realism in the presentation and an ethereal body to the sound which has a magical addictive quality. The VPI / Denon also has a bit more air and lushness to the presentation. Certainly the way it deals with jazz instruments and in particular sax and trumpets, the Denon is sooo smooth and full. The M55e/Jico is a tad grainy and harsh in comparison. Cymbals shimmer without any glare with the Denon but the Jico although detailed doesn't present them with quite the same natural sound.

The Lenco certainly has more grunge in the bottom and I expect being an idler it conveys the bass in a more convincing way but in a sheer musical way, being there with the music and performers, I think the VPI / Denon pips it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 17-04-2016 at 09:46. Reason: Spelling

I'm James.

Forgot to mention, I am using some MS Audio plugs instead of the terrible RCA's that were fitted to the Lenco. They work extremely well!

One other thing. Whilst setting up I found the arm / cartridge works better without the anti skate device and to my ear does not sound at all compromised for not using it. I don't hear any groove distortion or sibilance what so ever.

I'm James.

I have not serviced the motor yet and although I think it is well within my capabilities I am a little unsure if it is something I should leave alone. It does not make any noise and runs very smoothly but I am sure it is running on its original grease.

My apprehension with dealing with it concerns the fact it is installed using springs which I believe have to be at the exact tension to eliminate noise getting through to the top plate. Also the bearing has to be re installed just so as to not have to much play, 2mm I think.

Can anyone advise me if this is a straight forward service/procedure or am I going to start having issues when reinstalling?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast