+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring Lenco GL75

I'm Jez.

If an LVX drops straight in I may have to try a GL75 again. I've got one (maybe 2) of these decks but the only time I ever tried one, many years ago, was with a unipivot arm and it sounded bloody awful! Loads of rumble and the sonic sophistication of a music centre I have heard modded and sorted examples with other arms sound very good more recently though so I don't know if it's just a case of a unipivot being an awful match to these decks or if it is just knackered....

I'm Geoff.

Linn arms do have the correct geometry for use on the L75 Jez. You merely need to drill the three mounting bolt holes.

I have a few Lenco turntables (in various states of assembly) and have purchased an LV-V to use on one. The LV-V being the only Linn arm with a universal/SME fit removable headshell and highish mass, making it suitable for use with most MCs (and Deccas). The bearings and general build quality are decent.

You previous L75 experience makes me think it must have had mechanical problems. Good examples of these turntables are very quiet and rumble free normally. Maybe somebody lost the ball from the main bearing that bears upon the thrust pad. I've seen that and it wrecks the quiet running.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am after a headshell that fits the standard GL75 arm
    I'm sorry, I was being facetious - I really don't like the stock arm (at least, with DIY modified metal screw vblock replacements), it is complete rubbish.

As above, Linn geometry is only 1mm out, main thing to watch for is VTA. I have an Ortofon As-212 on mine.

I'm Mike.

There's an available headshell on ebay these days:
    http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/351569693237

I'm interested in hearing any experiences?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If the cartridge isn't too lightly damped, nowt wrong with the L75 arm once the V blocks are replaced. I don't know how easy it would be to replace the internal wires though, of which some are internally corroded (GL75 deck plates rust too if badly stored). The Thorens TP16 arm can have the shell socket removed by drawing out the fixing pin and the L75 arm looks similar, but I don't know if this could be done. If so, an Audio Origami foam fill and maybe some layers of cotton thread on the springy counterweight beam to slightly stiffen and support it may just be enough, with one of these Thakker shells, to prevent use of the now almost inevitably knackered LVX or Basik Plus arms. I wonder if current Lenco shells (the one from their DJ deck) would fit?

I still maintain that the L75 horizontal bearing/bias assembly is a good one with gravity loaded low friction ball races, which usually spin well - if they don't they're either badly adjusted or abused ime. If only the existing arm beam can be used to advantage, it could be an amazing deck today, as the original one sounded with stock mat, a fresh exit cable and K9 fitted - absolutely annihilated an Axis with Basik Plus/K9 in direct comparison.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Linn arms do have the correct geometry for use on the L75 Jez. You merely need to drill the three mounting bolt holes.

I have a few Lenco turntables (in various states of assembly) and have purchased an LV-V to use on one. The LV-V being the only Linn arm with a universal/SME fit removable headshell and highish mass, making it suitable for use with most MCs (and Deccas). The bearings and general build quality are decent.

You previous L75 experience makes me think it must have had mechanical problems. Good examples of these turntables are very quiet and rumble free normally. Maybe somebody lost the ball from the main bearing that bears upon the thrust pad. I've seen that and it wrecks the quiet running.
    Thanks Geoff. I have a Audio Technica AT-1005 Mk2 on my main deck at the moment and suspect it may well go straight on the GL75.... It just mounts into a round hole like a Rega RB300 and the stem looks a tad smaller diameter than a Rega. I don't know how standardised the mounting of various AT arms was over the years but maybe someone can confirm that will go straight on to a GL75 and save me from needing to drag things out of cupboards and measure them etc....

I'm James.

I am getting great results from the stock GL75. It is a very quiet runner and sounds probably better than my VPI!

I was just wondering what arms folk recommended for use with the Lenco other than the stock unit which to be honest although it looks a tad basic and a bit ugly it seems to perform well.

I have some Desmond V blocks to pop in so if they improve it further it will be a very accomplished TT. I heard it recently with Firebottles Ortofon Salsa MC and it blew away anything I have heard through my system by quite a margin do I am seeking out MC options for the Lenco which will push it too it's full potential.

Don't really want to go down the modifying route although I can see the fun and potential, rather leave this expense and time for a 401 sometime in the future.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

I have seen photos of the AT-1005 II fitted to the L75, but I'm not sure whether any alterations were needed to accomodate it. I'd think it straightforward enough though. You might even be able to use the fitted Lenco armrest if it's clear of the sliding downforce weight.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Having just done a scout about on the net. I've found the length of the AT-1005 II quoted as 228mm. I suspect that may not be the stem centre to TT spindle centre dimension though. The Linn is 211mm stem centre to TT spindle centre and the Lenco arm 210mm.

I'm James.

I know a lot of folk don't use the original GL75 Lenco arm but can anyone recommend a MC cartridge that would work OK with this arm.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast