+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi All from Staffordshire

I'm Martin.

Default Hi All from Staffordshire

Name's Martin - I'm originally from Liverpool;now living and working in 'sunny' Stoke on Trent

I've been on the hi-fidelity quest since I bought my first 'seperates' system from Richer in 1988...

I regret that my system is a little prosaic compared to most. I'm currently using:

Custom rebuilt (by Systemdek in the early '90s) SystemdekIIXE; Linn Basik Plus and Ortofon MK540MKII

Cambridge Audio Azur 840p CD Player

Linn LK1/LK100 Pre/Power amps

into Celestion A2 speakers bi-wired with Chord Odyssey and a Russ Andrews mains block channels in the power...I'm now looking at the amplification as being the current 'weakest link' but..well, I'm not a millionaire...

I understand I am obliged to give a hint of musical tastes so I will say - Rock,Jazz, Blues, Funk and Soul and leave it at that. Although if I then mention that my two all-time favourite bands are Steely Dan and Led Zeppelin I am sure that more than a few of you out there will guess not just my approximate age but where I am coming from 'taste-wise'.

I've joined this forum because my cronies are only interested in 'Home Cinema'; equate 'very good' with 'very loud' and make snoring sounds when I attempt to talk 'hi-fi' (Boo-Hoo).

Best Regards

Martin

I'm Nick.

Hi Martin... I grew up in the southest parts of southern Staffs, lovely part of the country. Welcome to AOS. You already seem to know to know the drill so I hope you enjoy gettin' stuck in!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Hi Martin,

welcome to AoS. Jumping right in: nothing wrong with your amps. I sold a LK100 that I used as a foot rest during the cold months(honestly!). It sounded far better when I used with one of my DAcs as a preamp. The LK1 is the source of your dissatisfaction. Mine strangled the music and held the LK100 back from unleashing its true potentials.

Stan

I'm Martin.

Hi Stan

Thanks for your reply - I was toying with the idea of replacing the LK1 with the Creek passive pre (you know the one I mean) as a fairly low-cost move - not heard one but HFW seems to like a lot...?

(Sorry if I should be posting this elsewhere, ley me know)

Martin

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Martin, welcome!

Pro-sa-ic
    –adjective
    1. commonplace or dull; matter-of-fact or unimaginative: a prosaic mind.

Hardly - A Bose Wave, some sort of Sanyo mini-system (I have one in a spare room, actually!) would be commonplace or dull, not so any system with a custom rebuilt Systemdek, surely? We need pictures, then we can judge!

Enjoy your time here, get stuck in!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Hi Martin! Nice to see you here, from a Wirral Woolyback (never knew why they call us that since originally it was used to describe the dockers of liverpool!)
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Neil.

Hi Martin

Welcome to Art of sound.

Have fun and get stuck in...

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Hi Alex

Thanks for the welcome.

I will try and get some pictures on tomorrow, time permitting, but rather than get up your hopes of viewing some rare Exotica I must tell you that my custom rebuilt Systemdek IIXE looks exactly like... a stock IIXE as it's the suspension, motor and main bearing that were up-rated. A long time and many spins ago, too...

Regards

Martin

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I can't talk, I haven't even posted my pics up yet - mainly because I haven't taken any! I think this lot secretly just like to check out our decor, they're not interested in the kit!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread