+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gainclone building help?

I'm Nathan.

Just had a look at the chip and it is the LM3886TF, so its the insulated version, therefore no compound required.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

So, I've returned from Maplin, freshly ripped off, (this chip amp is proving more expensive than I had initially hoped). I have all remaining items needed to get this thing finished.

So tonight I want to hook up and test my power supplies.

Now this bit is confusing me. At the back of each of my power supplies I have 2 sets of double inputs, that is, two little terminal blocks that I soldered to the bottom of the board, into which the transformer is to be wired.

The transformer has one set of primaries and two sets of secondaries.

Blue-Brown obviously are wired to my IEC input. But are both Red-Black and Yellow-Orange wired into the back of the power supply using the aforementioned terminal blocks? Red-Black into one and Yellow-Orange into the other?

You can see the wires going into the thing in a pic from the chip amp site, but the business end is hidden from view!!!!

The assembly guide that comes with the chipamp kit does not go into detail on this, and anything I read on the web seems to take this part as a given.

Any help appreciated.

Nathan

Nathan.

I'm Rob.

I seem to remember that the rectifier boards are marked AC1 and AC2 on both feeds. So yes, Red and Black to one set of diodes and the Orange and Yellow to the other.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Nick.

Just had a look at the chip and it is the LM3886TF, so its the insulated version, therefore no compound required.
    Heat transfer paste will still improve the thermal coupling between the device and the heat sink.
    Nick.

I'm Nathan.

Yea, I did some more reading after I posted that comment and that was the gist of what I got. Apparently, elimination of air between heatsink and chip is key. So I'll be making one more trip to the shops.

Nathan

Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

So, just say later on this evening all is going well with the power supply and the voltages it is outputting are what I need. How do I then link it up to the amp board?

I see a variety of PG+, PG-, V+ and V- on both power supply board and amplifier board. Are these to be connected? And if so how?

Nathan

Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

Just had a look at the chipamp assembly manual and the question below is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by RochaCullen View Post
    So, just say later on this evening all is going well with the power supply and the voltages it is outputting are what I need. How do I then link it up to the amp board?

I see a variety of PG+, PG-, V+ and V- on both power supply board and amplifier board. Are these to be connected? And if so how?
    I was all set to get cracking on testing the power supply last night, but as we've now got a 4 week old baby in the house who just wasn't settling, I had to shelve any plans I had with my soldering iron. I think the weekend will have to do. Although the six nations might have something to say about that .

Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

I know its taking a lot of time, but I got around to testing the boards last night:

I'll be starting on the enclosure this weekend, which should be a bit of fun. But a lot of work.

I've been getting distracted by this little fella, seen here having his bath first thing this morning as I was leaving for work, 5 weeks old and counting :

Nathan.

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Congrats Nathan! Don't get the two projects confused!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Congrats Nathan! Don't get the two projects confused!
    Ha. I don't think little Harry would appreciate that!

The little fella does have a fine appreciation of music, however. He was having a colic induced conniption the other night, and I decided to try and calm him down with some choons, and during one whole play of Simply Red, Stars (Surprisingly good recording) there wasn't a peep out of him.

Nathan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234