+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VERY surprised at this cheapy valve phono

I'm Mike.

Default VERY surprised at this cheapy valve phono

I don't generally write reviews on my kit; A, because I'm not very good at it and B, because most of my kit is at the decidedly lo -fi end of the hi - fi spectrum, so not of great interest to others. This phono, however, has surprised me so much that I thought I would this time.

So, I've just bought the Bellari VP129 valve phono stage from Steve (carruthersesq) of this very parish and it's been a bit of an eye opener.

It just does everything so well. Natural, well timed, fluid sound, open, fast and detailed with low, textured and well defined bass, quite extended and open highs, believable soundstaging and placement and just the subtlest hint of warmth, but not enough to muddy the sound, sound un-natural or roll off at the extremes. Tones and timbres are totally realistic, you can visualise a bass string being plucked and can almost feel the vibrations when a piano key is struck.

Not at all what I expected from a cheap valve phono. How do they do it for the money ?

I've only been listening to it for 3 or 4 hours but it is totally addictive and has usurped both my Dino / Dino+ combo and my built-in phono stage (which I really rate).

This could well be a keeper

Cheers Steve.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Simple - one valve, a few passive bits that cost pennies in most cases, simple shared case and above all, a desire NOT to rip end-users off! Direct selling too I believe? Glad you like it
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Hi Mike
    Glad you like it, really for the money it is very good.

If you haven't already, get your name down with Alan (Firebottle) to loan his demo tube phono amp, that is something really very good and not for silly money either. I think I'll be purchasing when funds allow.

Cheers Steve.

I'm Tony.

The Hagerman Bugle Boy (think that's it?) phono stage is meant to be excellent for the dosh, think it's about £115 delivered to anywhere in the world.

I'm peter.

Not quite as cheap, but could I mention the dear old croft RIAA. A wonderful thing at a very fair price. Love it.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    Not quite as cheap, but could I mention the dear old croft RIAA. A wonderful thing at a very fair price. Love it.
    +1
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Christopher.

Great review, Mike! I personally haven't heard any of the Bellari amplifiers, but I've read they are swell. It's perhaps on my same list with the TCC TC-750 phono preamp. Based on what I've read, these two phono preamplifiers seem to be the most talked about, so perhaps one of these days I'll be able to check both of them out.

Chris.
    iTunes → Schiit Modi → RW Audio Amp1S → Beyerdynamic DT990/600 Ω | Last.fm profile | Bandcamp profile

+ Reply to Thread