+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman II - my review and observations

I'm Tim.

Default Caiman II - my review and observations

So the new DAC had arrived and is on burn in currently...

I have owned all the Beresford DACs bar the Bushmaster 2 so I am keen to see how this new incarnation performs...

I still have a Gatorised Caiman I and an original Bushmaster to compare with so I will provide my views on the DAC with comparisons when I have time ... Probably starting at the weekend...

First impressions are always important...

Out of the box it projects more space and 3d positioning than any of its predecessors ... and the headphone performance is stunning ...

More to follow ...

Tim

I'm ILOB.

It has a lot more detail than the Bushmaster mk 11 and depth like discovering your music collection all over again. It also has a very analogue based sound that makes it possible to listen for long extended periods
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Mike.

Sounds like my BM II needs to be upgraded.........
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

My usual promise applies to the Caiman MKII as with any promises made with my previous DACs. If you can't hear a clear and obvious night and day improvement between the Caiman MKII and any other DAC, you can send the Caiman back to me . I even linked to some test files in another thread where I pointed out that you can finally tell the difference between mp3, FLAC, and WAV on playback. It has been the Holy Grail of DAC designs, and the Caiman MKII finally makes it possible to hear that difference.

I'm Tim.

So I find myself at almost 1am captivated by the music in a way I haven't for such a long time

In terms of set up, I am streaming from a vortexbox by USB to a Musical fidelity Vlink and into the Caiman 2 using the Co-axial output. This feeds my PrimaLuna valves which are then feeding my Royd Minstrels.

I should have gone to bed ages ago, but the sound, which has improved with burn in, is just captivating.

I can switch over and listen to the same output via the BushMaster, which is being fed from the same Vlink, on optical cable.

So what is the difference - it is like a cheap lens ... it is not as sharp or in focus, and the 3d image is OK, but just not as good.

The sound is very analogue and full of detail ...

Stan - this is really money well spent.... and I haven't even tried to use battery power yet ...

I think I may try it with a battery powered Bantam Gold ... if I feed it from a laptop, I can be totally mains independent ....

I am finally thinking solar powered hifi might be on the cards ...

More to follow ...

Tim

I'm ILOB.

Its really pays to use battery with this to hear it at its full potential
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Krzysztof.

Anyone can recommend battery power for Caiman 7520Seg - first take?

I'm TAD.

hello there, why don't you try the anakaka rechargeable battery. Plenty of mentions of this in the Beresford banter site. Have used it with the Bushmaster Mk II and now using with the new Caiman 2. Just stunning. Also watch the bass, as this has been substantially extended. By the way, the Caiman 2 is head and shoulders above the Bush 2. If you need the link to purchase, here it is.
    http://www.ankaka.com/english/USD/in...tery_p409.html
    happy listening.
    T12

I'm Krzysztof.

Quote Originally Posted by TAD12 View Post
    hello there, why don't you try the anakaka rechargeable battery. Plenty of mentions of this in the Beresford banter site. Have used it with the Bushmaster Mk II and now using with the new Caiman 2. Just stunning. Also watch the bass, as this has been substantially extended. By the way, the Caiman 2 is head and shoulders above the Bush 2. If you need the link to purchase, here it is.
    http://www.ankaka.com/english/USD/in...tery_p409.html
    happy listening.
    T12
    Does it have selectable output voltage - Caiman SEG uses 15v? Do you use it connected all the time to the power supply, meaning that if discharging can be charged simultaneously?

I'm TAD.

Yes it does, selectable output voltages of 12 16 and 19V, so looks as if you are out of luck, unless you can run your Caiman at 12v, I do not know the answer to that. I suppose that you can have it connected at all times but why? I just recharge when required. One overnight charge every so often, depending on use.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    T12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast