+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Best Cassette Decks Ever? How do they compare to the Nak ZX-7?

I'm notAlone.

BASF Chrome and Ferrochrome were always too noisy imho (very poor S/N) and not robust enough for everyday use. Let alone the normal tapes like LH or other "ferro super"...

Scotch (3M) were better, but far from the TDKs. The best Scotch was the Superferric model. They were not very robust either.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

BASF Chrome and Ferrochrome were always too noisy imho (very poor S/N) and not robust enough for everyday use.
    Possibly, but I liked them (still like them) because they give recordings a nice 'tone', which is quite important to me

I find them more than robust enough for my usage.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Possibly, but I liked them (still like them) because they give recordings a nice 'tone', which is quite important to me

I find them more than robust enough for my usage.

Marco.
    Well, all tapes are "robust enough" if you're VERY careful...

But, only a few tapes could stay in a car at summertime without problems. I was young and careless, my cassettes had to be like my girlfriend : not fussy.

Yes, BASF have a nice "distinguish" tonality, especially without Dolby.
    I understand you may like it.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

But, only a few tapes could stay in a car at summertime without problems. I was young and careless, my cassettes had to be like my girlfriend : not fussy.
    The latter bit I can relate to, given the suspension-testing 'extracurricular activities' which sometimes took place inside cars I've owned

However, in terms of your summertime comment, no. I was in Scotland and you were in Greece - the climate was, erm, 'slightly different'!

Yes, BASF have a nice "distinguish" tonality, especially without Dolby.
    I understand you may like it.
    They have a richness of tone, which I like, but at the same time sound open and detailed. Some TDKs could sound quite 'toppy' in comparison, especially when they brought out the AD-X and SA-X - I didn't like those much at all.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alex.

I like BASF too, just now I've received 40 BASF Chrome Maxima II, used but in a good condition from Germany, at about £1-20 each. It would be interesting to compare 4 different years (I've asked for 10 of each year) of production... . Older ones did shed a bit of a white talc-like powder on a first run, but after that they OK.

Alex

Nice one, Alex. I use CR-S II 90s and they're excellent

Marco.
    Main System

Andre,

Marco
    The below are the ones i prefered with this design label

That looks like an early 80s one - not sure, though...

These MA-R diecast jobbies here at the bottom were the best constructed tapes eva, totally silent in winding..If i remember i used to pay near on a fiver each for them from Moorgate Acoustic back then

The MA-Rs were quite superb. TDK were the only company I know to properly address the issue of resonance in cassette casing - not only did that mean they wound silently, but it also improved sound quality, too!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nobody.

Teac Made a tape that looked like tiny reel to reel spools, that was quiet but didnt sound great..

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/9...5635561_tp.jpg

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Teac Made a tape that looked like tiny reel to reel spools, that was quiet but didnt sound great..

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/9...5635561_tp.jpg
    Here's Andre's pic, embedded, to save everyone else the hassle of downloading it:

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Alex.

Is this the most expensive cassette deck ever?

(It is not, obviously, but the seller did apparently believe the misprint in the online text of an old review!)

Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast