+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of decent SME IV or V for my Orbe SE

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I bought my SME 3012 for OZ!
    Ahem, what does this mean? Sorry for being thick...

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Much prefer that arm..
    Please elaborate! Is it up to the lessend tracking error? Or the increased effective mass? Or even the increase in resonance?
    Its not an option though, as the Orbe wont accept a 12" arm...

And, Mr. Barbarian, it's easier to respond to PM's if you would accept incoming PM's!

Best wishes
    //Mike

I'm Gone.

As far as service schedule for SME arms, for IV and V models I have always said get them factory checked every 5 years. As pointed out, the IV gives 99% of the performance of the V but without damper and with more fiddly VTA adjustment. Well SME sell the damper as a separate item for the IV and it gives you the VTA adjuster too. As I'm not overly fond of spring loaded arms. This combo does the business for me, it's an easy fit and really lifts the performance all the way up. In fact having A/Bd them, I think a tricked out silver wired IV is a better arm.

I'm Gone.

BTW I used the IV on my Orbe SE with both a Goldring Excel and Koetsu Rosewood Signature, it's a great combination.

I'm peter.

What sheer delight to hear the observations of balanced, intelligent, individuals. Marco is spot-on with his comments about dirt and stuff in the bearings...mine were apparently dirty. The essential point has been grasped by people on this forum...precision instruments are worth looking after, and that involves a little maintenance and checking.
    Certainly, after five years of daily use, my arm did need a little love and attention...and I hadn't realised it, I sent the arm back because the internal wiring had developed a very occasional short (a brief drop-out about once an hour.) These things can happen, SME are a fine firm, and in my experience, most people who buy their stuff are pretty level-headed.
    Anyway, you've cheered me up. Thanks.

I'm Kevin.

Just out of interest, has anybody tried an FXR-II incomparison?
    Whilst doing research for my arm purchase, an awful lot of reviews placed the FXR-II in the same class as the SME IV and V. How true this is, I cannot say, but I thought I would throw this one out there.
    I know it's just a modified Rega, but surely it's worth a listen?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    As long as you don't mention what book you're reading!
    Currently reading "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card.

On the subject of SME arms, a friend of mine owns a 309 with a Shure M75 in it. I asked him a couple of weeks ago when he last used it and was told about 20yrs ago. I decided and with his permission if I could have a play. The arm is mounted on a Thorens TD160. I'm here to tell one and all that it sounded excellent, the arm moved easily and freely. My fiends wife said it was just taking up room and she didn't think it was worth much and was thinking of selling it. She thought she would be lucky to get twenty quid for it. Being a friend for the best part of 40yrs, I put her right, she was dumbfounded, but I did ask for first refusal after she had finished using it as a flower pot stand (NOT kidding).

Clive
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    On the subject of SME arms, a friend of mine owns a 309 with a Shure M75 in it. I asked him a couple of weeks ago when he last used it and was told about 20yrs ago. I decided and with his permission if I could have a play. The arm is mounted on a Thorens TD160.

Clive
    I am having trouble getting this together? Surely you must mean an SME 3009???
    It would be possible, but not practical to mount a 309 on a TD160?
    And my first choice of cart would NOT be a Shure M75!
    Besides, the 309 is no more than 26 years of age, me thinks...

Anyhoots, i'm progressing in my search of the illusive V, turned out my local dealer had one, freshly mounted to a SOTA tt... Awaiting offer on that one, and also have been contacted by PM by a couple of members here!
    And, as an option, a friendly dealer offered me a 309, in pristine condition less than a year old.

(Something like £850 for the 309, seems reasonable)

Thanks for all of your input!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    I am having trouble getting this together? Surely you must mean an SME 3009???
    It would be possible, but not practical to mount a 309 on a TD160?
    And my first choice of cart would NOT be a Shure M75!
    Besides, the 309 is no more than 26 years of age, me thinks...

Anyhoots, i'm progressing in my search of the illusive V, turned out my local dealer had one, freshly mounted to a SOTA tt... Awaiting offer on that one, and also have been contacted by PM by a couple of members here!
    And, as an option, a friendly dealer offered me a 309, in pristine condition less than a year old.

(Something like £850 for the 309, seems reasonable)

Thanks for all of your input!
    Your absolutely right, I did mean 3009. I obviously had a senior moment with my typing.

The SME 3009 was a low mass arm and not ideal for MC cartridges unless you had the add- on fluid damper. The Shure M75 was an ideal cartridge at the time if you could not afford a V15III. I wasn't actually suggesting you buy a M75, I was mearly discussing the quality of a SME arm from personal experience.

Clive
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Just out of interest, has anybody tried an FXR-II incomparison?
    Whilst doing research for my arm purchase, an awful lot of reviews placed the FXR-II in the same class as the SME IV and V. How true this is, I cannot say, but I thought I would throw this one out there.
    I know it's just a modified Rega, but surely it's worth a listen?
    Yup. In another league. Amazing what the sme loses. Nb- I have an fxr on my tt right now and it belongs to funk firm. Arthur is a friend. That doesn't make the arm any less good. He has a 309 at the factory for comparison and pink triangle used the 5 as THE only arm for demo and shows in the anniversary days.

I'm Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast