+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven's system

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Nice system, art audio amps look so tasty, like the rack, hifi podium ?
    Yes, the Art Audio finish is rather pleasing to the eye.

There is something anthropomorphic about 300BXLS valves.

The rack is HiFi Racks. The top deck is deeper than the rest, to cover the gubbins beneath.

I bought the turntable plinth a while ago as they assured me that it could easily manage the 36kg of my Clearaudio Champion Level 2. It gave way a bit, dropping about 8mm at the front. They sent me some packaging, collected it, added a triangle brace under the deck and sent it back. It is now solid as a rock. That's what I call customer service.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    As long as you leave the ones from the nudist beach out!

We have a specific section for holiday snaps, etc, in the Abstract Gallery: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...stract-Gallery

Marco
    I would recommend Wreck beach in Vancouver, Canada. Sorry, no snaps. Posted something more appropriate, taken a few days ago.

Am going to reffc to listen to his new speakers. Seems we have another common interest.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    Am going to reffc to listen to his new speakers. Seems we have another common interest.
    Ah, Paul's new Rhapsody speakers? - must admit I'm looking forward to hearing those sometime soon myself.
    Let us know how you get on.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah, Paul's new Rhapsody speakers? - must admit I'm looking forward to hearing those sometime soon myself.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Actually I was interested in his Fidelio prototype/demo pair, but he has made the sensible decision to keep hold of them.
    Given the way my system has changed in the last two years (see top of this thread) and the aesthetic demands of the Mrs, Tannoys in a beautiful off-white veneer would have hit the spot.

I'm Mike.

A very nice system and room! I'm sure it sounds delicious as well as it looks that way!
    Is that a Nottingham Analogue turntable?
    Regards Mike

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    Actually I was interested in his Fidelio prototype/demo pair, but he has made the sensible decision to keep hold of them.
    Given the way my system has changed in the last two years (see top of this thread) and the aesthetic demands of the Mrs, Tannoys in a beautiful off-white veneer would have hit the spot.
    Ah, shame. Those Fidelios are hugely impressive speakers - and they look beautiful. They'd go in your room a treat.
    As a rule, I hate the sound of dual concentric Tannoys, but Paul has pretty much managed to extract the bad bits while building on the positive aspects.
    Keep at him, he'll probably change his mind again soon.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    A very nice system and room! I'm sure it sounds delicious as well as it looks that way!
    Is that a Nottingham Analogue turntable?
    Regards Mike
    It's a Clarity Dual by Claro Audio (Pete Curran). The first incarnation was called the Lumley Heliosphere, the second the Clarity 09 and then the Dual.
    It has had further changes/upgrades and is now being distributed by Tom Willis at Art Audio as the Composer-1, so it now at Mk4.

Paul Stewart started a thread on his Composer-1 and there are some pics of the latest version.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ght=composer-1

Claro is a state of the art precision engineering business, making satellites and the like, and it shows in the quality of fabrication. The plinth/legs are milled out of a single block of aluminium with two motors housed in recesses from underneath and the platter is Acetal.
    http://www.claro-audio.co.uk

It does also sound rather good.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah, shame. Those Fidelios are hugely impressive speakers - and they look beautiful. They'd go in your room a treat.
    As a rule, I hate the sound of dual concentric Tannoys, but Paul has pretty much managed to extract the bad bits while building on the positive aspects.
    Keep at him, he'll probably change his mind again soon.
    I'm living in hope.
    When I get around to fork-lifting the Jota into the car and sailing up the M4, will report back.

I'm Paul.

Hi Steven. Really nice looking system, must sound great.

BTW, you mention sound goes to pot when the blinds are up. I have same issue due to high frequency hash from glass windows behind my speakers.

I solved most of that with 5 small pieces of Synergistic Research HFT thingees. They are tiny, the size of pencil erasers, and you blu tack them onto the wall wherever they work best, to reduce reflections and other room issues. Good WAF too.

They are bizarre and make no sense that they should work, but the change is immediate. Once you find the right spot, pause your music, then take them off the wall. You will quickly put them back on.

Wall and bass traps etc are not an option for me, so this was a good find.

I only have 5 pieces, and did not get the matching FEQ component.

This really tamed my issue with the window refelections, without negative impact to dynamics, soundstage etc. I believe SR offer 30 day trial too.

BTW, you mention Linn. I have their new model Akurate Kontrol 2 channel preamp, works amazingly well with my Air Tight ATM-1.

Link below to the SR HFT placement for anyone interested.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/f...istening-room/

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by ppat2 View Post
    Hi Steven. Really nice looking system, must sound great.

BTW, you mention sound goes to pot when the blinds are up. I have same issue due to high frequency hash from glass windows behind my speakers.

I solved most of that with 5 small pieces of Synergistic Research HFT thingees. They are tiny, the size of pencil erasers, and you blu tack them onto the wall wherever they work best, to reduce reflections and other room issues. Good WAF too.

They are bizarre and make no sense that they should work, but the change is immediate. Once you find the right spot, pause your music, then take them off the wall. You will quickly put them back on.

Wall and bass traps etc are not an option for me, so this was a good find.

I only have 5 pieces, and did not get the matching FEQ component.

This really tamed my issue with the window refelections, without negative impact to dynamics, soundstage etc. I believe SR offer 30 day trial too.

BTW, you mention Linn. I have their new model Akurate Kontrol 2 channel preamp, works amazingly well with my Air Tight ATM-1.

Link below to the SR HFT placement for anyone interested.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/f...istening-room/
    Bizarre is the right word for those thingees, but good luck to you if they work !!

Luxaflex blinds are great because they tilt - from opaque when tilted horizontal to blacked out - or anywhere in-between as suits you.

Even when tilted up they provide good damping, let in plenty of light and I can see my garden.
    They cost about £2,000 (I paid rather less by a stroke of luck), as they are remote controlled and really stunning. The damping blinds behind my sitting position cost £300. Neither are audio products, but do a good audio job.

I hear the Linn pre-amp is very good. Did not like their A2200 Dynamic amp at all - a cold fish. Purchased the Majik streamer, soon updated to the Akurate, excellent, no intention to change.

I know nothing about pre-amps as I have never owned one. Does that get me banned? Had integrated, a power amp with two pairs of switchable inputs (only have two sources) and had the Art Audio Jota modified so effectively integrated.

Steven
    Last edited by SLS; 07-01-2014 at 21:52.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast