+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Headphone Amp

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    Why? You have logarithmic hearing, so a log pot seems kinda obvious. Am I missing something?
    Likes to be different does our Andre

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    I have built meself a Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone off of eBay.
    It has cost me around £50 inl freight and a toroid trannie (60VA)
    Built into an old casette deck, it sounds truly astonishing! It beats the socks off of a Little Dot MkIII!

Regards Mike
    Edit:

The left side houses the two separate trafos, a 60VA toroid for the HP amp and a 30VA R-core for the DAC. The small PCB is the DAC, an AK4396 based jobbie with a very appealing sound. To the right is the Lehmann clone, an absolutely stunning piece of kit, at peanut cost.
    Both the dac and hp amp uses OP-amps, NE5532 as std, but they have been exchanged for a much better option, the LME 49720HA (metal cased).
    Dear Mike,
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Would like to create a similar setup as yours. Any suggestions ?

Thank you !
    - Mark

I'm Mike.

Default Headphone Amp

Welcome museguy!
    I need to adress some of my earlier writings about this... I still very much appreciate this DAC/HP Amp but the Little Dot MkIII is not worse, just different.

Still recommend the Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone which sounds more than decent with a 30-50VA tranny. If i would build something similar today i would try and find another DAC, precerably with a USB input? And, i would try and fit then in separate chassies, somewhat smaller!

Keep us posted on your progress, okay?
    Atb /Mike

I'm Mark.

Welcome museguy!
    I need to adress some of my earlier writings about this... I still very much appreciate this DAC/HP Amp but the Little Dot MkIII is not worse, just different.

Still recommend the Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone which sounds more than decent with a 30-50VA tranny. If i would build something similar today i would try and find another DAC, precerably with a USB input? And, i would try and fit then in separate chassies, somewhat smaller!

Atb /Mike
    Dear Mike,
    Thank you for the post !

Still working on my plans, as of tonight:

Raspberry Pi (with regulated linear power) > Audiophonics Sabre 9023 Dac > AMB Alpha 20 - With Sigma 25 power supply

All the best,
    Mark

I'm Mark.

Welcome museguy!

Atb /Mike
    Dear Mike,
    How are you? I have been researching DACs. Have come around to AK4399, AK4495, AK4495SEQ . AK Premium DACs

AK4495SEQ

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Assembled-AK4...-/121709573225
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-grade-AK...-/131539517663

Any thoughts ? Would like to hear your feedback. Thanks !

- Mark
    Last edited by museguy; 19-03-2016 at 20:00. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345