+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album of 2012

MartinT Guest

Default Album of 2012

As we're into December I thought I'd throw in my nominations and ask others to do the same, together with their reasons. So here are my three:

Richard Hawley: Standing at the Sky's Edge
    Fantastically strong song set with superb guitar work and occasional wall-of-sound mix but also some excellent low key moments. Good sounding voice in great form. A real treat from start to end.

Lana del Rey: Born to Die
    Highly unusual sound world and unique songs with street patois and vignettes. Her vocal delivery in the studio (as opposed to live) is compelling and makes this a satisfying album capable of repeated plays. Probably my most played album this year. Blue Jeans and Summertime Sadness are highlights.

Alt J: An Awesome Wave
    Again, something different and equally compelling. I'm not even sure how to categorise it as there are elements of so many styles. Unusual voice which could be love-or-hate for listeners. A good sounding recording, too. Matilda is the highlight in a uniformly good album.

I'm john.

hmmmm..

Marillion - Sounds that can't be made..
    I'll need a think cause there were some really good albums out this past year..
    John.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I was thinking about this in the car today. I know what my discovery of 2012 was (i.e. new to me in 2012) but as for an actual 2012 album - that will be a bit more tricky...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Three albums only is a tough call, it's been a good year IMO.....Martin, I agree with Richard Hawley pick but don't "get" Lana Del Ray at all......

my choices are:

Dexys (Midnight Runners) - One Day I'm Going To Soar........their first album for best part of 30 years. Real instruments beautifully recorded, soul and passion....unlike anything else. The live shows were phenomenal.

Jack White - Blunderbuss........his debut solo album, and apparently his "divorce album" a great unique guitarist, these songs are hook-laden ...... Again his live shows were fantastic.

Alejandro Escovedo - Big Station.....why is this man not a superstar? All songs co-written by Chuck Prophet and the album is produced by Tony Visconti.....a musicians' musician.......again great live performances this year.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm stu.

MartinT Guest

Thanks, guys. I hadn't come across the Dexys album, will investigate.

I'm Stephen.

New music in 2012 was slow to start with then became akin to a tap on 'full' later in the year.

Bit tough for three, but here's mine :-
    The stunning album from Steve Wilson & Mikael Akerfeldt

ARCHIVE :-

& Steve Hackett for me, purely because it brings back so many fantastic memories, as well as being a great piece of work :-

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I was thinking about this in the car today. I know what my discovery of 2012 was (i.e. new to me in 2012)
    and that is?

It appears that I've only bought one album released this year, and it's a good one.

Zulu Winter - Language
    Last edited by webby; 06-12-2012 at 15:31.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Paul.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    and that is?
    Hi Lee - I'll start a new thread - rather than pollute this one which should be kept for 2012 albums.
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 07-12-2012 at 23:53.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast