• 8/10 - I have it or would buy it

11 30.56%
  • 9/10 - I love this and listen to it regularly

10 27.78%
  • 10/10 - a classic icon, a stellar achievement

10 27.78%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 03.07.12: Supertramp - Crime of the Century (1974)

MartinT Guest

Default Album Club: 03.07.12: Supertramp - Crime of the Century (1974)

Supertramp's Crime of the Century is a classic album that has aged very well indeed. Supertramp had found a little early success with two previous albums, but this one was their Dark Side of the Moon, released one year after that huge hit. COTC reached #4 in the British charts but that was almost irrelevant since it proved to be a long lasting steady seller throughout the years although it could be said to be more popular with the cognoscenti since Breakfast in America would be the album most associated with Supertramp now.

For me, as a 16 year old listening to this around the same time as Dark Side of the Moon and Phaedra, I was struck by how complex the musical ideas were and by the great songwriting and hooks. Not least of it was liking something that our parents didn't. Prog rock at its best! Now when I listen to it, I am in awe of the astonishing technical achievement for its time, the stupendous sound quality and, yes, songs that are now etched in my mind but still oh-so-enjoyable. A final mention for the iconic cover artwork, at once recognisable and memorable.

Used purely as a system test, listen for the very extended bass lines, the startling synth, everything in focus, panned backing vocals and the huge dynamics - better heard on LP than CD. Try 'School', a tour de force if ever there was one and far more enjoyable than some audiophile creation by a non-artist.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_o...entury_(album)

Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crime-Of-The...1296258&sr=1-4

I'm dennis.

Just bought this off ebay for a £5 [ incl p&p] based on your review .

Only previously heared "dreamer" on the radio and dont own any Supertramp Albums . vote to follow .

I'm Steve.

I have been a fan for many years so will give this v an 8

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Paul.

Great album, great recording. 9/10 as there is a little filler and there are a few albums I like better.

I'm Neil.

I am pretty sure I have this so I will give it a listen. Not totally sure I would call it prog though.
    Regards Neil

I'm ILOB.

Like Neil I always had trouble seeing Supertramp as prog, but a good band yes
    Not listened to this for about 20 years so will give it a spin
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Not totally sure I would call it prog though.
    Hmmm, I must admit I definitely would - a progressive concept album through and through.

I was also 16 at the time of its release and its a seminal album when it comes to my youth and development of my music tastes (alongside albums like DSOTM, Phaedra, Brain Salad Surgery and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway).

I play it often (last spin was 5th May 2012), know every lyric intimately and I still get goose bumps at the tempo change in 'School'. One of my all time favourite albums and without doubt for me its gets a perfect 10

Nice choice Martin
    Last edited by Tim; 03-07-2012 at 16:33.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm John.

One of my favourite albums of all time. One I play regularly. Fantastic.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

There's a bit of "history" with me and this album, which came about after some ribbing I got on Martin's previous Album Club choice of Dire Straits original self titled album... To cut a long story short, I have this album, and have been introduced to the delights by Martin, Tim etc. a while back - and have played it fairly regularly since - I really enjoy it, though it is less "my time" than Breakfast In America. I've also got Paris from 1980 which I believe features most of this album live, so I must give that another go, too.

Scores on the doors time, then - 8/10 - not quite a 9, but it might get there one day!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Nearly forty years old this, and I remember first hearing "Dreamer" on the radio back in '75.

I understand this album was all but ignored to start with, only gaining ground after a year or so. The recording and early pressings were good enough for this to become a staple demo record and as with many such, it was done to death, all but ruining it for me at the time. The original CD was raw, but lively and the gold issue was restrained and bland for whatever reason. I'm sure it's been quietly "remastered" in more recent times but I have no idea what current issue CD's sound like.

Great details on this album. The train annnouncement on "Rudy" is telling, as is the atmosphere/reverb on the album as a whole, the differences in turntable setup being easy to hear with almost any track.

Haven't played it in years/decades but shall dig it out promptly
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast