+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Random bike shots from the north..

I'm Mika.

Yep we're weird

Please first watch this Sswedish Robert Gustafsson portrays the 5 (stereotypical) stages of Finnish drinking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAl9OyGYxOg. Then think about that for a while and then read this article called "Finns - masters of silence" http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Fin.../1135246072691

And there it is! Now you have the tools to understand our nation better than average..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ha - very amusing, Mika!

I too have no problem with silence and can't abide people starting idle chit-chat for the sake of breaking a perfectly normal, reflective silence. I much prefer people who are quiet and pensive, than loudmouths, cackling away (groups of females on a night out together are most guilty of this), who love nothing more than the sound of their own voices!

I also generally find the atmosphere that most people are accustomed to living in these days way too 'loud', with kids running around screaming and shouting, adults often behaving not much better (!) TVs blaring, often with no-one watching them, and just the general hubbub and noise level continually in evidence in many people's homes.

Working from home and spending most of my day alone in a tranquil and relaxing atmosphere (we live in a detached house in a nice quiet area), with the only 'noise' coming from music played on my system, or the cats meowing (until my wife returns from work), means that I'm simply not used to the continual 'din' that many people these days consider as normal! I simply can't abide it. In some ways, I think that this is a British thing, as one doesn't tend to encounter this natural desire for noise as much elsewhere in Europe.

Therefore, the little 'quirks' of Finnish people, which you describe, would be no problem for me whatsoever - in fact, I'd rather enjoy it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hey, Mika, I'm surprised you haven't commented on this!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mika.

All you wrote made perfect sense to me when reading it, so didn't really have anything to comment. So just acting as a proper Finn here..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

Default The beauty of silence...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mika.

Today did three hour ride with my 29er to celebrate the nice -3 C degree weather. Rode mostly bike lanes as the paths and singletracks are too soft after the new snow that has fallen during the week. Just few really popular tracks were hard enough for a big rider like me, here is one next to the playgroung at one small park neat the forest area next to the university..

I'm Mika.

1st of February the winter cycle challenge started, a playful competition for work communities and sport clubs etc to mark their distances covered by bike. The event is sponsored by the ministry of health with an idea to get people moving instead of using cars for all the commuting. Have marked my rides and so far have been able to cover 231km during 10 days - could be worse..

Few shots from previous week. The first one taken by the river Oulu and other one near the light wall installation next to the sports centre Raatti.

I'm Mika.

have had some great days here for winter biking, temperatures have been from -5 to -18 degrees of C and virtually no wind at all. And when you combine the longer days and even some sun, that make you feel like spring season is starting soon, oh boy

Icefishing season has also started at the river Oulu and enthusiasts seem to go awfully close to the edge of the ice..

Also the trails have been in wonderful shape! Yesterday evening did almost 2 hour ride with my Steamroller and despite of the 35mm wide CX tires the dark paths and singletracks are fast and really give you the sensation of speed and pure fun!

So far this month have ridden 403km and counting. Today we have team evening and dinnes form work 16kms away on other side of the town and planned to commute there and back home. Some of my colleques are looking me just like some weirdo..

I'm Mika.

Long time without decent bike shots as have been mostly skiing. Still before some skiing piccies one shot after todays ride.

Very beautiful winter day today, bluebird etc. Decided to do a little spin after Mrs came home from morning shift and aerobic class. My face looked and also felt bit exotic after three hours and 57km. My toes did not felt much anything as temperature was -15 degrees of C when I left and -19 when got back home..

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Now that is dedication Mika! Hopefully your toes won't fall off!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast