• 3 star

4 33.33%
  • 4 star

2 16.67%
  • 5 star

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club 27.12.11: Glasser - Ring (2010)

I'm Dan.

Default Album Club 27.12.11: Glasser - Ring (2010)

There really isn't a lot of information about Glasser (the alias of singer/songwriter Cameron Mesirow) on the internet, but I was introduced to this album by a friend some time ago, and it's marvellous. Think Cocteau Twins with a tribal feel, and even the occasional hint of Nine Inch Nails' quieter bits.

There is no wikipedia page unfortunately, but it is on Spotify.

http://open.spotify.com/album/4yIc2xhi7JEBdMcvybuhbw

ha! bet you thought I was going to post some demonic metal!
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 28-12-2011 at 11:35. Reason: Added date to title

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Nice choice, Dan - I have got this, but not played it a huge amount so will give me the opportunity to do just that. Happy New Year!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Paul.

Never even heard of Glasser or Cameron. Listening now. The BBC have a review which gives some background.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/63cg

Jury's out after first 2 tracks but hasn't made me switch off.

I'm ILOB.

Dan look forward to hearing this but I was hoping for some dark demonic mental lol
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Paul.

Overall this is quite a pleasant listen that starts out strong and tends to fade a little towards the end. Cameron Mesirow has a pleasant if not powerfull voice. In most respects better than some big name artists such as Florence or Dido. The whole thing does become a little bland and the sound is rather bleached.

There is an obvious reason though as the entire album appears to be made using computor software - Garageband laptop edition. So no real instruments or even real synths ! There are some imaginative arrangements though. I think this should have been a demo and the record company thrown money in to add in some real drums, some guitar and analogue synths to give the recording some texture. This is in effect a beer budget home recording. Perhaps Miss Mesirow may be given some money for her next effort based on this.

Not unpleasant, wouldn't buy but a good effort. 2 out 5.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Just listening now, interesting start and reminds me of Lykke Li. I have never heard of this band either..... will vote and update my views when it's finished. Not particularly my sort of thing, but it's early days yet and certainly a vast improvement on Britney
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Barry.

As with all albums that are new to me I play them over a few times to give them a chance to hook me. This starts off great she reminds me of Sinead O'Connor and its a good first track followed up by another decent song but then I lose interest and forget I'm listening and drift off with the then drifting music. Quite pleasant background stuff but only a 2/10 from me.

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Had another couple of spins, definitely confirms I like it, and wonder why I haven't played it more... I gave it a 4 out of 5 - and look forward to her next album.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Not really my thing after spinning it a couple of times now, I quite like the first track but it goes downhill after that and seems a little repetitive to my ear, but I'm not really an electronic synthesiser kind of guy.... more acoustic.

A bit confused as we seem to have gone back to 5 stars instead of 10 I would have maybe given it a 4/5 but out of 5 it's just a 2 I'm afraid.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

I rather like this, especially the interesting percussive backdrops. Within the genre, this sounds good and is repeatable. I've had it on play on and off for a couple of days now, so 3/5 from me (agree that a scale of 10 is better for scoring).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast