• 4 / 10 Liked one or two tracks

0 0%
  • 5 / 10 Not bad overall, I'd probably listen to it again

1 8.33%
  • 6 / 10 Pretty good effort

3 25.00%
  • 7 / 10 I like it!

3 25.00%
  • 8 / 10 I like it a lot! I may even buy a copy.

2 16.67%
  • 9 / 10 Excellent - I'm buying a copy right now

1 8.33%
  • 10 / 10 Perfect - essential listening

2 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club 20.12.2011: Laura Nyro - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by royzak View Post
    Can not believe I missed this one.I own and love The First Songs,New York Tendaberry,Eli and the Thirteenth Confession and Nested.
    So thank you for a great write up,have now got this on order and can't wait.
    I can't believe it either! I'm glad you've decided to treat yourself, it is a definite progression from the earlier albums, but on a continuum, no massive volte-face. Hope you enjoy it Roy!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I can't believe it either! I'm glad you've decided to treat yourself, it is a definite progression from the earlier albums, but on a continuum, no massive volte-face. Hope you enjoy it Roy!
    Thanks again Nick,it will be worth it if only for that delicious cover.

I'm Barry.

I've played this several times and its pretty good its really easy and pleasant to listen to. I don't like Map to Treasure with the piano doodling but this is offset with a fabulous cover of Up On The Roof. 6/10

I'm Keith.

I've had a couple of listens to this on vinyl now, but haven't really made up my mind. A few of the tracks on side 2 remind me a bit of Rickie Lee Jones but I think I need to listen a few more times to get more used to her voice before voting.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm ChrisB.

I like this a lot, thanks for bringing it to my attention Nick.
    I have her first album but my appetite for exploring her music a bit more has been spoiled by the fact that 'Stoned Soul Picnic' and most of Eli and the Thirteenth Confession annoys the hell out of me! It sounds a bit too much like songs from a musical for my taste.

Anyway, this album really hits the spot for me & your descriptions are spot on. I notice more than a little hint of her in Kate Bush after hearing the last three tracks here.

Great album & an 8 out 0f 10 for me - I will be looking it out.
    Thanks

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I'm still mulling this one over before voting as initially it wasn't working - a bit too pop. However, it has led me to Mother's Spiritual which I really like
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Thanks for the reminder Chris & Tim that I hadn't voted... (Sorry Nick!)

Yes, I continue to enjoy it - and will be getting hold of a copy I think, and exploring her catalogue. I always struggle a little with sad artist stories and music, so I have to get over that not tainting my enjoyment of her music for what it is. (49 is no age at all - and I also read that her mother died at exactly the same age from the same disease! ) Still, she left a great legacy.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Keith.

Didn't quite do it for me, I'm afraid. Some very strong songs, but also some not in a style that I especially enjoy and I just can't make myself like her voice - too many not quite in-key high notes that grate a bit. Not unhappy that I bought a copy and will play it again every now and then, but can only score it 6 out of 10,
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

MartinT Guest

I hadn't really ever listened to Laura Nyro before. Coincidentally, I have just watched BBC4's documentary on Easy Listening, which it would be easy to categorise this as - no insult, since the Carpenters were heavily featured.

However, further listening puts this into the singer/songwriter genre and she sounds a little ahead of her time to these ears. I would seriously love to get this on vinyl as it sounds like the perfect medium for her (I know Nick would say 'tape').

A solid 7/10 from me, and merits more playing time.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Listened to this earlier & totally forgot to vote Gets a good 6/10 from me, though if the Spotify source had been better it may well have been a 7

Not my normal cup of tea but thoroughly enjoyable none the less!

Glad you logged in Nick, you reminded me to vote after I listened earlier
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast