• 3 out of 5

8 38.10%
  • 4 out of 5

6 28.57%
  • 5 out of 5

2 9.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 11.10.2011: Zero 7 - Simple Things (2001)

I'm ILOB.

This is not music I tend to listen too, so another one thats just leaves me a bit cold I am afried it would not really chill me out either I guess its all about how music moves and emotionally connects to each of us
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyleyes View Post
    Now I am in a remote place and I cannot get Spotify .. any ideas anyone ..
    Not sure, Brian - www.we7.com appears to now need registration, and not sure how it works these days. Anyone else got any ideas?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Ok, just finished the CD... Well it's all over the place I think it's trying a bit too hard to be everything to everyone...

For instance, the vocals on track 1 kind of reminded me of a certain Mr sinatra? Then we have what could be any or all of the Cafe Del Mar albums.. We then get treated to a female vocalist that sounds like she has a peg on her nose (later on she sounds different)...

Following on from this we have the afro caribbean band & finally we get treated to some classical

It's ok, but it's too much of a mixed bag & i don't see what the idea is frankly... Make it chillout & have the whole album chill...

Like John i tend to prefer instrumental ablums of this kind of genre (lounge music) & would much prefer to stick on some Cafe Del Mar, they are more consistant.

This gets a 3 from me, if there were 0.5 allowed it would get 2.5
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Steve.

well I listened to it after finally getting spotify working, and I think it is OK. when I say OK, what I mean is that I could certain listen to it again, especially as Tim mentioned the tracks with the nice female vocals. However, it would be wrong of me to give it a very high score just because I like a couple of tracks and so I give it 3. Had more of the tracks been vocal, I would have rated it higher.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Well I managed to get a download of this through the firewall somehow .. don't ask where it came from ... ......... and ... I will start by saying I never went through all this chill period .... it did nothing for me at the time .. maybe ...... because ........

Music for me has to be involving, and be going somewhere. This stuff meanders around, has an overbearing, repetitive and fairly boring bass presence throughout and seems to consist of lots of little bits stuck in around and on top of this bass line. The vocals do not convince ... they sound affected and contrived .. every now and again it almost gets some feeling .. I don't mind In The Waiting Line .. bit it just falls short. At other times it sounds like she is trying lamely to add feeling with artificial warbles and the odd ... UH! ( or she wants to be Norah Jones .. now that is good chill :-) )

There is no sense of coherance .. and of music being built towards a conclusion .. maybe that is what chill is .,.. just meandering "cool" soundbites put together in an attempt to create a soundscape. The orchestral bits sound like they come from a different era altogether .. just don't fit .. it sounds like someone has sat in a bedroom and made a collage of loops .. There is no .... togetherness ! It has lots of bits of the "real stuff" in there .. but it just doesn't come over as a performance ...

I can see how this might be attractive or pleasant when one is in the "Love the world for a few hours state" .... .. but that is what makes it easy to get sucked into stuff like this ... .......... ....... 2 stars here............
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Well this is certainly proving to be an interesting week, and still too early to start summarising the responses so far, but it is great anecdotal evidence to add to my "research" for a theory that I will be proposing when it comes to its conclusion...

Hope that's got you interested!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Do lilac curtains feature at any point? If so, I'm already excited!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Do lilac curtains feature at any point? If so, I'm already excited!
    They'll have to now, just for you!
    Alex

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

<Awaits forthcoming summary with great anticipation>

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Well this is certainly proving to be an interesting week, and still too early to start summarising the responses so far, but it is great anecdotal evidence to add to my "research" for a theory that I will be proposing when it comes to its conclusion...

Hope that's got you interested!
    It has indeed Alex ... and I'm giving it a few more listens to judge if I was being too harsh ...
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast