+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello Everyone

I'm John.

Default Hello Everyone

I'm John in Clitheroe, Lancs. I was pointed at this Forum by MartinT, who has been enormopusly helpful to me over the years on the Cix H--Fi conferences.

My main interest is in early-ish music, especially organ and harpsichord, choral and small ensemble, but I do like Queen/Dire Straight/Clapton and some jazz. I like a "clean" and "pure" sound as in Bach organ works.

My kit is fairly simple; NAD C371, Mission 781 and REL Q150E speakers, Pioneer DV-565A and Project Debut turntable. The speaker cables were not cheap but no doubt would be considered by many as fit only for baler twine!

I like the stated ethos of this Forum and believe that one should not mock the H-Fi extremists until you have listened to their kit and tried to understand where they are coming from and hear the nuances.

Regards,

John

MartinT Guest

Welcome to AoS, John! Nice to see you here too. We've certainly had some great conversations on organ music over the years. How is that NAD of yours, still needing attention?

We're an accommodating lot here and the emphasis is definitely on the love of music. Many of us have also listened to each other's systems and that really helps to keep us honest and understand where the weak links are.

So dive in and find the places where you're comfortable. When you're ready, a piccy of your system in the Gallery area would be nice
    Last edited by MartinT; 07-10-2011 at 13:34.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi John, welcome to AoS I guess anyone that knows Martin must be a pretty reasonable person, so do as he says & get stuck in

All the best & i hope you enjoy your stay
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

We're well enowed with Daves here, now it's the John's turn Welcome indeed

Great little system you have there. Be prepared to have some dosh spare... if not for wholesale gear replacement, then a few tweaks here and there - you know, better stylus for the Debut, new caps in the Missions, that sort of thing. Whadaya mean, he's only just joined? Apologies John, I mean well
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nick.

Come on in John, pull up a stool and enjoy yourself!

Glad you dropped in
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Sorry John, but I can't help but snigger when I read "Clitheroe" - if I was to be a hero at anything, that would be a good choice... Sorry, please excuse me, it is getting late!

Welcome to AoS - enjoy the forum.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Thanks all for your welcome messages - much appreciated. Nice to feel you're among friends!

John

I'm Barry.

Welcome John,

You have broad and interesting musical tastes. I'm curious what kind of bailing twine you use?

Best,
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Sorry John, but I can't help but snigger when I read "Clitheroe" - if I was to be a hero at anything, that would be a good choice... Sorry, please excuse me, it is getting late!

Welcome to AoS - enjoy the forum.
    Alex, it looks like you've got 'pudenda on the brain'.

Just ignore him John, and welcome to AoS
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Alex, it looks like you've got 'pudenda on the brain'.
    Like a female dickhead?

Hi John - Welcome to AoS. I'll be close to Clitheroe (between there & Sabden) later this week on business.
    All the best & enjoy the forum!
    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread