+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEEDS - The continued hunt for vinyl!

I'm Andrew.

Default LEEDS - The continued hunt for vinyl!

Today is my birthday and I decided to splurge on some vinyl, so I went to Leeds. There are 3 good shops that you must visit if you to buy Vinyl. The 1st one is called Crash Records and is situated on 35 The Headrow, this is more of a place to buy tickets for gigs but they have 1 side of the shop dedicated to vinyl, there are perhaps 2-300 records to have a look through with a wide selection of genre's. I saw prog, extreme death metal, latest chart release stuff. I didnt purchase any thing cos nothing took my fancy! Prices arn't too bad, slightly cheaper than the net, and they have a sale section.

2nd record shop is Jumbo Records located in ST John's shopping centre, I have been to this one before and bought quite a bit of vinyl in the past. 1/2 the shop is dedicated to vinyl, there must be 1000 records to skim through and they have a very wide selection of music, perhaps the best records store in Leeds. Well, I managed to buy latest albums from Motorhead, Black County Communion, a Emerson Lake Palmer 1972 live album and Robert Fripps latest release, A Scarcity of Miracles. Prices are a little high but once you factor in the postage from some of the web based vinyl suppliers it works out ok! Staff arn't so friendly but still glad the shops alive and well.

3rd shop was a new one to me called Relic Records which has been in Leeds for Donkey's years at 53 New Briggate , I only just found it today! They like to open late, try 10am. Great selection on vinyl downstairs. There are some specific sections like jazz and heavy metal but you quite often find that you really do have to go hunting for stuff. Everything is listed under rock or pop which is a little frustrating but it makes you dig around. All the stuff downstairs is 2nd hand and prices do vary. There are several boxes of vinyl selling a 2 quid a piece with some boxes selling at a fiver. Once again a large selection of genre's I managed to find some Janis Joplin, Colloseum 2, and Overkill that i had missing from my collection, I purchased another 4 records here a £42. Nice bloke behing the counter. i have recommended he introduce himself here. There is also some nice retro gear downstairs with a great looking sugden amp thats about 40 years old which is still going strong and sounds rather good.

A few years ago there were several other record shops in Leeds but they have now closed, Hell Raiser records down by the market is still open but does not sell vinyl. As you wonder through leeds there are plenty of charity shops but none have any vinyl, ever, I should know I have been around them umpteen times and never found anything So, i would classify Leeds as an ok place to go vinyl shopping but I think Nottingham so far has to be the best place I have been to over the last month. Hope this helps.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for this - I'm up in Leeds on Tuesday so I'll try and fit in a quick whizz into Jumbo at least.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Andrew.

Relic Records is worth a punt as its open 7 days a week! There are quite a few bargain buckets on vinyl spread around the floot downstairs in the vinyl sections. They have quite a good blues/jazz section. I'd say you have about 1500/2000 records to flick through. Happy hunting.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Robert.

Thumbs up

Thanks for that

My eldest has recently started at Leeds University

I've now got other things to do than take him for a pint in The Angel
    Rob

Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck
    Nottingham Analogue Mentor arm
    Audio Technica AT33PTG
    Audio Innovations Series 800 step up
    Sheer Audio MM-77 phono stage
    Audio Note M Zero preamp
    Quad Elite power amp
    Aiwa AD-F850 cassette deck
    Marantz CD63SE
    Audio Physic Yara

I'm Andrew.

aaaHHH The Angel pub somewhere I spent many a grant cheque when I studied in Leeds
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm David.

There is a record fair there (leeds) on the 30th October, worth a visit as I am there!

I'm Andrew.

See you there!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What's the address in Leeds, chaps, where the record fair is? A post code would help, too, for sat navs

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

Sunday 30th LEEDS CORN EXCHANGE. Call Lane. 30 tables. Free Admission 10am - 4pm LS1 7BR

I'm David.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast