+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should there be an audiophile equipment museum?

I'm Howard.

Default Should there be an audiophile equipment museum?

Considering how important we all regard music and therefore by association, how much we value the equipment that reproduces it for our pleasure, who or what will be the custodian of the finest equipment that has given us so much enjoyment?

It would be such a pity in my view if few examples remained of the classic reel to reel machines, cassette machines that pushed the boundaries of micro engineering to their limits, DAT machines whose marketing stumbled and then failed, tone arms of exquisite engineering – and so much more. Surely future generations might have a few people interested in such history?

Am I being naive here because of misplaced nostalgia and inappropriate sentimentality?

If so, and I’m open to this possibility, then what criteria would sensible people apply to making the cut i.e. admission in the museum even if it were merely a virtual museum?

My best wishes to you all.

Howard
    Well, hello.

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Howard - I very nearly raised this very question a few months back. I was looking at a possible business venture that would have seen a large building being split into various units, and I pondered on the possibility of one of those units becoming an "Audio Museum."

Would people travel to see such things? And how would it work in practice? Really, I would want people to be able to hear rather than just see - so I suppose it would have to be a series of rooms (appropriately soundproofed of course) - almost like a permanently installed Scalford? Equipment could be in use in rotation, or perhaps special requests could be taken in advance if someone wanted to hear a particular piece or system. Of course, acquiring some of this equipment, let alone the running costs would not come cheap - so I guess like any other museum, lottery grants and similar would be sought, as well as the good nature of benefactors willing to loan equipment, and of course enthusiastic and knowledgeable people to work in it and curate it.

All of which is my rather convoluted "yes" - I do think there is merit in the idea, (and from my research, I couldn't find a similar physical museum that exists, though there are plenty of online ones) though how commercially viable it is I'm not so sure (if it needed to be, of course.)

As to "what gets in" - well - that is a whole different can of worms!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dave.

I had a Vintage Hi-Fi Museum at my last shop. A room full of vintage equipment on display and labelled appropriately, most of it was functional.

We used to ask customers to donate a small sum to the charity box, when viewing the gear.

I'm stu.

yes.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Jan.

It so happens that 2 km east of here is the local museum which have a Bang & Olufsen section.... no points for guessing who sponsered the wing.
    I have no idea how many visitors that go there to see the B&O stuff

"The B&O section: Experience the history of a West Jutland business adventure, which has made B&O to an international succes. Follow the development of the world-famous design icons. Relive the history of radio and television, and experience how these medias have changed our daily lives."

http://www.struermuseum.dk/da-dk/uds...--olufsen.aspx

You can see some glimpses in the video http://www.struermuseum.dk/da-dk/om-struer-museum.aspx

Probably their most successfull product ever http://webshop.struermuseum.dk/produ...-oplukker.aspx
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

I'm Clark.

I've posted this before but there is already an amazing museum. Not easy to visit unless you are in Japan but the owner has created a wonderful virtual experience. It covers from the formative years to the present day.

http://www.gokudo.co.jp/Vanguard/room1/room1.htm

Also, just a pet hate but the word "audiophile" conjures up images of overpriced bling. I much prefer the term "classic"

I'm Martin.

This sounds an interesting idea. I guess in the current situation with all sorts of worthy causes scrabbling for funding, realistically a hifi museum isn't going to top any funding body's list. So I think it would have to be fairly self reliant.
    Perhaps one approach would be to look for spare space in an existing museum; maybe a museum of some other technology, transport for example. This might encourage greater visitor numbers than a standalone hifi museum, plus sharing overheads etc.
    I agree working demos would really be appropriate, but of course this would require more work; perhaps at certain times only.

I'm Jonathan.

A large corner of the science museum would be a good place to put a permanent installation. I'm not sure an entire museum would be a profitable or sustainable venture unfortunately.

I'm ChrisB.

You'd have to have a steady supply of visitors to something else & tempt them into a hi-fi museum - let's face it, there aren't enough of us eedjits around to keep a museum in business!

The National Media Museum in Bradford would be a good spot (used to be called the museum of film and photography) - they have a radio section including some juicy valves.

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/

I vote for Andre as head curator!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by slate View Post
    It so happens that 2 km east of here is the local museum which have a Bang & Olufsen section.... no points for guessing who sponsered the wing.

Probably their most successfull product ever http://webshop.struermuseum.dk/produ...-oplukker.aspx
    ? What is an Oplukker? Vad ar det?(nasten pa svenska!). Doesn't look functional.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast