+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 122 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Gromit's music centre...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Marco - yes, I am serious about getting a 1210 and just trying to weigh-up the various permutations of what to get. Sure I could just order up a new fully-modded KAB from the States which would cost around the same as I'd get for my NAS. However I really like the idea of getting one here (I see a nearly new one went on eBay for 180 quid the other day) then doing the mods to it as time goes on - always nice to tweak in stages I think, simply because it's fun.

I would also be happy to run a standard one for quite a while - the one I'm using isn't in its first flush of youth yet still works perfectly.
    Ok, Richard, I'm with you on the "it's nice to tweak in stages" bit, and mostly that won't be a problem. Like Scoobs says, J7 could sort out the arm rewire for you, and the fluid damper can be bought from KAB and fitted yourself, etc, but sorting out the off-board PSU could be more tricky, and IMO it's what makes the biggest difference of all the mods by a country mile. I don't think it's the easiest thing in the world to fit and that's pretty much why I decided just to get the whole lot from KAB.

You could email Kevin from KAB and have a word with him about it and see what's involved: info@kabusa.com

But whatever you do make sure fitting the off-board PSU is one of your priority upgrades - I cannot stress this enough - because its effect is very significant and one of major reasons why my 1210 sounds so good.

I think your question before about the arm has been pretty much answered, so have no fears about using the stock one and having it rewired and modified as discussed. As you can hear yourself at the moment, even without modifications, the stock arm is pretty good, but it's night and day differences once the arm has been modified as discussed. At the moment you're probably only hearing about 70% of its true potential.

The other thing to note is when buying a 1210 I would go for a new one, simply because they're cheap enough anyway and at least then you know 100% for sure it's not been 'DJ'd to death'. I would advise you to go for the MK5G (the top model) as it has a higher quality tonearm than the rest and looks nicer too, IMO.

Ok, I think that covers it but if you have any other questions then fire away!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Thanks for the tips Marco - really appreciate it.

Been looking at the Mk5G which seems to be available for just over 400 quid on the www (in the UK) if I shop around. Does look rather cool with the gloss top plate and silver/Ti arm.

What's also helped is the NVA A80 mono's really cleaning up the bottom end - these, with their grip and control, in combination with the 1210's bass performance, has made for some quite exciting listening. Had some 180g Depeche Mode lp's on this afternoon and the bass is just so faaaaaaaast.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by ray70 View Post
    That would certainly be interesting Richard! Still on for our get together - will be in touch nearer the time.
    Looking forward to it Ray - and having heard your rig before I thing it's going to be a hoot. Your speakers with the 1210's bottom end - oooh yes.
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

Thanks for the tips Marco - really appreciate it.
    You're very welcome, mate. If there's anything else I can help with just let me know

The MK5G is total class. When you lift it nice and shiny out of its box for the first time you'll marvel at the sheer quality of the engineering and no doubt manage a quiet chuckle to yourself at getting hold of something so phenomenally well made for around £485...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Hi Marco - just been checking out the Mk5G on the Technics website. Only differences between that and the Mk2 seem to be the greater range of VTF and bias adjustment and the OFC arm wiring? I think I actually prefer the more understated look of the Mk2 tbh, unless of course there's more to the 5G's differences than I've realised?
    Richard.

Hi Richard,

Have a look at the KAB website:

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm

Click on 'Parts' where it says 'Special Edition Technics', and scroll down to where it shows the various arm wands.

You'll notice that the price of the MK5G wand is double that of the others. If you also look very closely you'll see that it's a different colour and finish (sort of a 'yellowy' matt finish as opposed to shiny silver). That's because it's titanium constructed as opposed to the machined aluminium of the other wands. The result is that the MK5G armtube is more rigid, which of course impacts on performance.

The other thing, as you mentioned, is it has OFC wiring and high quality phono plugs fitted, as opposed to the dire quality wiring and plugs used in the standard arm and T/T, which you might find a sufficient upgrade without going to the expense of having the arm rewired with Cardas cable. At least you'll be able to compare the effect first against the arm in your friend's 1210 and then decide yourself if you think Cardas rewiring is warranted. The difference between standard and OFC wiring together with the plugs used should be significant - just a thought

But if you prefer the cleaner looks of the MK2 then go for it

Marco.
    Main System

Rich I spotted this technics 120 on ebay, looks very nice and SME ready, in nice minimalist MK2 guise too.

Technics SL-120

This arm would mate nicely, I very nearly bought it myself.
    SME 3009
    Last edited by scoobs; 17-05-2008 at 12:47.

Two nice items there, Scoobs.

Any idea when you'll need the A23 yet, and what have you decided to do about your tonearm cable?

Marco.
    Main System

Erm, I'm hoping to get my amp this week, maybe as early as wednesday (fingers crossed, but I wont hold my breath). My man reckons I can use my 103 straight in, which is a little odd for a mm stage, but he should know. He also has a headamp I can use for comparison, so if everything goes to plan I would like to borrow it next week if that's OK.

Yesterday I bagged some Townshend Isolda 300dct cables at a good price from Dave (he's around here somewhere), one tonearm cable with a cardas din and a second 'regular' pair, which is a bonus! I'm looking forward to getting these.
    Last edited by scoobs; 12-05-2008 at 20:45.

Erm, I'm hoping to get my amp this week, maybe as early as wednesday (fingers crossed, but I wont hold my breath). My man reckons I can use my 103 straight in, which is a little odd for a mm stage, but he should know. He also has a headamp I can use for comparison, so if everything goes to plan I would like to borrow it next week if that's OK.
    Nay probs - just let me know. I'm not sure about the MM thing, though... But I'm sure you'll keep us suitably informed!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 122 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast