+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Bit of Off-roading

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Maggie was £3k 3 years ago, but I guess I've spent that again on her - and I'm planning a full rebuild with a galvanised chassis which will last 40 years without much problem and will outlast me. Hopefully she will stay in the family if the kid(s) are interested. That said, Maggie is a luxury, as she is a 2nd car - looks a bit strange climbing out of an off road prepped Landie in a suit! My main car is paid for by my company car allowance, which was another astute move by UK employers to put the onus onto drivers to have to sort everything out for themselves in return for a monthly allowance...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Adam.

I always get a bit nervous of these type of threads in case the poster is showing off pictures of some useless piece of Japcrap but that, sir, is very much a proper Landy and my hat is suitably doffed at you!

Attached is a picture of my pile of Lode Lane loveliness. I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't got it muddy yet, in nearly 2 years of ownership....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm John.

Love a bit of offroading. I used to get to do quite a bit of it putting up fences
    Course, you need the right vehicle for it. This one……. probably not suitable

This one is okay though.

Not quite doing it for fun with a Landrover but I’ve had to winch it out a number of times and of course, you’ve just got to have a highlift jack.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Oooh yes, but I will probably be looking for something a little more genteel - this would do - at about half the price he's asking!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ULTIMATE-G4-V8...ht_3708wt_1139
    I saw that one very nice spec sir, i'm still hankering after a V8 beastie after my loving my V6 series 1 80incher, my current 300 tdi Disco does the job but lacks in sound effects, just replaced another prop shaft rubber coupling after tearing the last one apart in 3 months towing my digger around, lesson to be learnt don't buy the cheap pattern ones
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    i'm still hankering after a V8 beastie after my loving my V6 series 1 80incher
    Ooh - I has a 1952 Series 1 80" - (2.2 BMC Diesel though, I would love one with a V6 or V8) - wish I'd never sold it, but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    my current 300 tdi Disco does the job but lacks in sound effects, just replaced another prop shaft rubber coupling after tearing the last one apart in 3 months towing my digger around, lesson to be learnt don't buy the cheap pattern ones
    Sh!tpart, by any chance?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I always get a bit nervous of these type of threads in case the poster is showing off pictures of some useless piece of Japcrap but that, sir, is very much a proper Landy and my hat is suitably doffed at you!

Attached is a picture of my pile of Lode Lane loveliness. I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't got it muddy yet, in nearly 2 years of ownership....
    Cheers Adam - I love Rangies too! Have you seen the price of 2 door classics! Is yours a V8? Couple of the guys in the Suffolk club have got bobtailed V8s... not sure about butchering them to be honest, but they sure as hell don't mess around off road! We also have a genuine Camel Trophy Rangie in the club - I would so loved to have taken part in that or the G4 Challenge.

One Life. Live it.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    This one is okay though.
    Same family now, of course. Luckily Tata don't seem to be meddling with the formula too much so far. Though I guess the current Defender's days must be numbered.
    Alex

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Same family now, of course. Luckily Tata don't seem to be meddling with the formula too much so far. Though I guess the current Defender's days must be numbered.
    Maybe not with Landys, but I reserve comment concerning Jaguar.

Regards
    Barry

I'm John.

The TATA’s aren’t as good as SWB Landrovers off road.

They are better than a lot of the offroad pretenders though and of course they’re a lot cheaper as long as you do the repairs and mods yourself.

The problem with the flat back, apart from the weight (2.75 ton with box and tools on a bit more) is the approach angle and I’ve dug the bed in a few times.
    What they are is a work horse with 4 wheel drive, not toys.

Did the head, turbo (up to 8.5 bar), injector, dampers, poly bushes throughout and steering guard you can see plus a few other bits and pieces. It did over a ton on the motorway and I’ve had some interesting races with Landrovers.

Anyone tried the 4 wheel drive Ford Transit Crew Cab with the tweaked 2.5 Turbo diesel?
    Now that’s a tool.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Adam.

Is yours a V8?
    Damn right - 3.9 litres of rumbly, torquey, thirsty scrumptiousness! There's no place for flippin' tractor fuel under my bonnet!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast