+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with CDs?

I'm Steve.

Default What to do with CDs?

I have for a while now been using FLAC (I have all my CD's on HDD, backed up just in case!) and I cannot really see me needing to keep the 500 or so CD's I have collected over the years. Before I put them in the loft, to be forgotten forever, has anyone any experience of selling this number of CD's? I do not want to start selling them one at a time on ebay or in the classifieds, as that seems like a lot of hassle. thanks.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Nobody.

I sold a lot of CD's through AOS, it was pretty easy as most went in batches..The sale was only for CD's a had twice tho, i wouldnt sell my CD's just store them away.you will regret it steve like i did years ago...

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I have for a while now been using FLAC (I have all my CD's on HDD, backed up just in case!) and I cannot really see me needing to keep the 500 or so CD's I have collected over the years. Before I put them in the loft, to be forgotten forever, has anyone any experience of selling this number of CD's? I do not want to start selling them one at a time on ebay or in the classifieds, as that seems like a lot of hassle. thanks.
    Hi Steve,
    why not list them say,,,10 at a time Here on AOS ?
    i am sure you will have a lot of interest!
    Athony,TD...

Edit, Andre beat me to it!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Nobody.

But be carefull with large batches as the postage across to inland UK can be unpredictable as i discovered dealing with Dalek supreme exterminator Neil

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

At the risk of coming across like a jobs-worth, if you get rid of the CDs then technically you shouldn't really be keeping the digital copy. Of course I doubt there has ever been a single prosecution for it (and actually you're not even allowed to take a digital copy in the first place, whether you own the CD or not, I don't believe.)

Depends on your view of the world I guess, and we've discussed piracy on here before, which is I suppose what it would be. Me personally - I would keep the CDs and stay "legal".
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

That's a very good point Alex, as soon as those CD's are sold, you have no legal rights of ownership for any copies.........

I would keep them personally, as I have never stopped regretting selling my vinyl collection. Plus these days, you are only likely to get around 1~2 quid per CD privately, sell them in bulk to a dealer and this will be around 50p or less.

if you do want to shift them in bulk, I could be interested depending on what you have, but I would think it over first, as once they are gone that's it and save yourself from doing this for the rest of your life!

But that's just my 2 cents worth....
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Steve.

I can see your point Alex, though it is hard to stomach buying something and then never actually owning it! By that rationale you should be able to give it back to the retailer and get your money back no? anyway, I have loads of pirate sorry, back up copies of other stuff anyway! £2 each = nice set of speakers Anyway, I don't want to get into a discussion about who owns it or whatever, just wondering about selling them to fund something else. Ta!
    Last edited by aquapiranha; 04-04-2011 at 14:07.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Neil.

Steve

Sadly CDs have very little commercial value S/H these days (unless they are rare or collectible) as I work in a S/H bookshop and when offered CDs they don't sell for much and therefore are not bought for much. This is also true of S/H CD shops too.

I might be interested in buying some if there are titles that interest me. It would save you the posting hassle as I live within an hours drive of you. I also still have those speaker stands I was going to lend you as well.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Anyway, I don't want to get into a discussion about who owns it or whatever, just wondering about selling them to fund something else. Ta!
    Indeed, point taken, but I think it was right to point it out.

I tend to agree with everyone else that selling them in bulk is going to give you far less return than putting a list up here and selling them to a more interested audience at say £2-£3 each - assuming you've not got a load of Steps, S Club 7 or Aqua in there...

Wonder if there are ever any record fairs or audio jumbles in your area - could be worth taking a stall which would only cost you a day and no hassle with postage. Dunno, just a thought.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Indeed, point taken, but I think it was right to point it out.

I tend to agree with everyone else that selling them in bulk is going to give you far less return than putting a list up here and selling them to a more interested audience at say £2-£3 each - assuming you've not got a load of Steps, S Club 7 or Aqua in there...

Wonder if there are ever any record fairs or audio jumbles in your area - could be worth taking a stall which would only cost you a day and no hassle with postage. Dunno, just a thought.
    Alex sadly the local record fair market has more or less died Steve would be unlikely to get the money back that renting the table would cost. When I was out of work a few years ago I looked at all these options...dead duck the lot of them.

When I was out of work back in the mid 90's I sold many Cds to keep me going but now days no value at all.....blame computer audio and MP3, digital downloads....they are to blame for CDs having no S/H value....

Regards D S D L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast