+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Do mains cables make a difference??

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andreas.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ah - well there we disagree. I think it *can* be significant, and I've experienced the effect many times. It's one of the reasons why so many filters exist on the market to combat it.

So what would you proffer as the reason why the mains lead supplied with your Hegel improved the sound of your Brio - and fairly significantly, too?

Marco.
    I feel we maybe drifted away form apples to apples here? The issue of polluted power out of the plug =//= the effects of mains cable shielding, no?

Well, if I eye my setup I see a clean tidy end of the room without sources of interference. You'll have your usual WiFi networks zipping about but all in all there are no obvious offenders outside of the setup itself.

The streamer draws no current. The Dac draws no current. We're left with the amp that at least draws some current and its mains lead should stand for the vast majority of the interference potential I reckon. It also sits awfully close to speaker cables and interconnects due to the form factor of the amp.

I'd wager the bigger factor in this case isn't shielding from outside noise, but keeping the interference emitting from the mains lead itself from affecting the lower level signals that travel right next to it.

I have no other way of explaining why the Röst would exhibit smaller differences when switching cables despite being the higher resolving machine.

Bigman80 Guest

Seeing as we're discussing this topic, I decided to see whether the same improvement was possible with other equipment.

I plugged the power cable into the DAC and whilst I do feel the soundstage benefits from it being in over the standard cable, I don't feel the improvements are as great as when I put it into the phonostage.

There's an improvement to the bottom end which sounds cleaner and better defined but other than that it's really not a discernable difference.

I really do think it's down to the sensitivity of the equipment in all honesty. I'll build a cable for the DAC because It has made a small difference.

Also checked my plug socket and yes, I was using the LH side anyway. Good stuff.

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    The mains cables used to power hi-fi equipment are not "kettle leads"! The mains cables for hi-fi are defined by IEC 60320 and are designated C13 (plug) and C14 (socket).
    The mains cables used for kettles are designated C15 and C16 and are designed for "hot conditions".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

A typical kettle takes between about 1.5kW and 3kW. That's a lot more than most hi-fi power amps. It's maybe 100 times as much as a pre-amp or phonostage needs.
    If audiophile mains leads make a difference it's not due simply to their current carrying capacity.
    That's why we are having a discussion about the subject to see if anyone has an explanation.

My take on it is metallurgy plays a major part, especially so when we are talking about OHNO casting and pure silver. The what, why and when is beyond my knowledge.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Dominic.

I also do not subscribe to the notion that any mains cable is capable of resisting or rejecting any inbound electrical interference. Any such interference would have to make your teeth fillings glow long before it could enter an active mains cable.

As for outbound energy from a mains cable there is plenty from the EMF energy travelling along it and when an EMF meter is held up to it the needle swings at full deflection at the 'nodes' along the cable's length, around every 40cm or so. Copper and steel braiding offers zero resistance to that EMF energy no matter how dense the weave is, so that is almost purely ornamental.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    . The what, why and when is beyond my knowledge.
    It's beyond anyone's knowledge which is one of the reasons why people are so sceptical about the claims of improved sound quality.

The other reason is that they have probably tried a fancy mains lead for themselves and heard no improvement whatsoever.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The other reason is that they have probably tried a fancy mains lead for themselves and heard no improvement whatsoever.
    What for you is defined as a "fancy mains lead" - would the likes of what Oliver has just built qualify as such?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    I also do not subscribe to the notion that any mains cable is capable of resisting or rejecting any inbound electrical interference.
    There we disagree then, which is fine, as it's all about opinions.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTape View Post
    Well, if I eye my setup I see a clean tidy end of the room without sources of interference. You'll have your usual WiFi networks zipping about but all in all there are no obvious offenders outside of the setup itself.
    In my experience, that's a big part of the problem, combined with the crap, devices such as routers and Sky boxes [with their cheap SMPS units] chuck into the house mains supply - and a well-designed, screened mains lead, built for hi-fi purposes, can often help combat said interference.

I'd wager the bigger factor in this case isn't shielding from outside noise, but keeping the interference emitting from the mains lead itself from affecting the lower level signals that travel right next to it.
    That certainly will have a bearing on matters, and it's why you should always keep mains and signal-carrying cables as far apart as possible. I always ensure that's the case in my system. It an integral part of the 'cable dressing' procedure I adopt when setting up a system.

Marco.
    Main System

Bigman80 Guest

No mine is a poor man's version. This one is fancy

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/aud...wer-cable.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast