+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable Digital Player alternatives

I'm John.

Default Portable Digital Player alternatives

I currently keep a copy of my iTunes library on two 160gb Classic iPods in my car. These are now full. Before I go and find a third iPod, are there any alternatives that will allow me to keep my full library in the car? ie is there a decent higher capacity player on the market (400gb +) or has anyone successfully added more storage to an iPod Classic? Any thoughts? Thanks John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Geoff.

I thought the iPod was out of production, but in any event, technology has moved on and there are numerous players on the market now with better sound, and much longer battery life.

A good micro sd card like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K3DVK..._t1_B074RNRM2B can give you huge storage for a modest price

I'm John.

Thanks Geoff - any thoughts on what model of media player to put the SD Card into?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post
    Thanks Geoff - any thoughts on what model of media player to put the SD Card into?
    What is your budget and how do you plan to use the device?

I'm Grant.

Ive always hummed and hawed re buying one myself but could never convince myself of how good they are and how flexible etc. also getting them to work with pc's and phones etc..
    So much conflicting info
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

When I go on a long car trip I typically just throw a bunch of albums on a CD in MP3 format which the CDP in the car can read (with metadata displayed on the head unit). Can get about 10 albums on a CD at the highest MP3 res of 320k. Yes yes, lossless may well be better but what with car noise etc MP3 320k is just fine. Blank CDs are about 20p each.

Occasionally I will stream Tidal from my phone to the head unit via an aux cable. I think there is a USB slot on the head unit as well but not bothered so far.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    When I go on a long car trip I typically just throw a bunch of albums on a CD in MP3 format which the CDP in the car can read (with metadata displayed on the head unit). Can get about 10 albums on a CD at the highest MP3 res of 320k. Yes yes, lossless may well be better but what with car noise etc MP3 320k is just fine. Blank CDs are about 20p each.

Occasionally I will stream Tidal from my phone to the head unit via an aux cable. I think there is a USB slot on the head unit as well but not bothered so far.
    Yup, ive a usb slot in car. I got a big one and filled it with my fav flac to find it didnt read had to go and convert a few to mp3 for it.
    Sound is fine as you say in car.... TBH I mostly bluetooth books from my phone... dunno where i'd be without the mighty Flashman
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yup, ive a usb slot in car. I got a big one and filled it with my fav flac to find it didnt read had to go and convert a few to mp3 for it.
    Sound is fine as you say in car.... TBH I mostly bluetooth books from my phone... dunno whee i'd be without the mighty Flashman
    The bluetooth in my car can sometimes be a bit wonky hence the aux.

Never got into Harry Flashman but heard it is quite captivating. All derring-do.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    The bluetooth in my car can sometimes be a bit wonky hence the aux.

Never got into Harry Flashman but heard it is quite captivating. All derring-do.
    Bluetooth in the Toyota is very good I have to say. even in my pocket it works fine with the Sony phone.

Harry Flashman, yes the books are incredibly well written, although you do need a broad mind, and accept that they are written in 19th c style when the taboos of today hadn't been even considered for most part.
    Historically they are bang on and you can listen to them round robin for ever as there are about 12.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Hi Geoff, just want to use with MP3s so I can have access to a full copy of my library to listen to in the car. Either use to replicate iTunes or happy to look at another system as all my digital files are on a NAS drive - but I want to fit at least 500gb on the player.
    Budget up to £500.
    Cheers John
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast