+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From the Independent Republic of Pencombe

I'm Terry.

Default Hello From the Independent Republic of Pencombe

Hello. I am a 71 year old decrepit hippie getting worse daily! 50+ years ago I got my first decent paypacket and decided I needed, what we called then, "a stereo system". I loved music (Floyd, Dead, Joni Mitchell, Roy Harper etc) but had no clue about systems. I went into a hifi shop in Birmingham and asked the man for a system! A couple of weeks later I was mesmerised with what the hifi man had sold me. It was:

Tannoy Lancaster speakers
    Goldring turntable
    Quad 33/303
    Stax SR3 headphones

Now, 4 children and 7 grandchildren later I have decided to try to return to the sound I loved. What I am setting up is:

Tannoy Legacy Arden (sitting in the spare room)
    Linn Selekt renderer (keeping speakers company)
    Audiolab 3000C pre-amp
    Radford Revival STA 25 (being built)
    LP12 (in for new motor and service)

I hope I have chosen wisely! As soon as the Radford arrives Audio Affair will help me set it all up. I am also making a unit to house it and I have tried to attach a picture but not sure I have done it correctly. I am using new scaffolding boards rather than reclaimed ones. I got a really talented man to make me a solid walnut plinth for the LP12 to sit on. The plinth will sit on 4 Ukishima 6A - adjustable isolation feet. The only thing that still foxes me is a decent record cleaner as I have hundreds of records that have never been properly cleaned. I am pretty good at research but despite my best efforts I go round in circles. I would love to have a go with a Degritter but spent all my money! Not sure whether to make an ultrasonic unit or make a vacuum unit - either way I need to keep cost down a bit. Apart from music my passions are woodwork and stamp collecting which I have similarly taken up again after a 50 year gap. I doubt that I will contribute much to the forum initially but I am really enjoying exploring some amazing threads and learning so much. Sorry for the ramble - I put it down to disintegrating brain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Geoff.

Hello Terry. Welcome to AOS.

Your new sytem should keep you entertained. You could start a blog for it in the Gallery section to show us how it all progresses.

Join in the chat. The members are friendly and like to hear what folk are up to.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Good morning and welcome Terry,

I like your music system shelving, you seem to have thought of everything there, including that ingenious irrigation system for your aloe vera plant Most folk would have taken the easy option and bought a little watering jug, but not you, oh no

If that's where the 'stereo system' is to be sited, it may sound a bit 'live'. So some soft coverings on floor and walls may be in order. Look forward to hearing more about your set up
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Edward.

Tannoy + Radford = pure pleasure.

Looking forward to reading about your journey as it progresses.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Terry.

Default The critical role of aloe vera in isolation and wifi

Many thanks for the welcomes. "Tannoy+Radford=pure pleasure" really gave my spirits a lift! I must take issue with Pigmy Pony however. It is well known in my village that the aloe vera plant absorbs all unwanted sonic frequencies. That is why it has fat leaves. The only downside is that it cannot tolerate either wall or floor coverings. I also have an identically tuned plant in my study and both together make one of the best wifi extenders on the planet. I call it a "mash system". I propagate these miracles and can supply any member of AOS at a discounted price of £254.56 per matched pair. By the way, did I mention my brain problems?

I'm Edward.

Radford revives all healthy brain.

Has Will given you an ETA?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by vinydobby View Post
    By the way, did I mention my brain problems?
    Hello from me, welcome. You'll fit right in here...

Worcester is one of our favourite cities, if you are ever in the vicinity of Dudley you are very welcome to call in.
    I visited Radford Revival earlier this year, they are a class act.

I'm Adrian.

Hello Terry

A man after my heart I after several speakers I ended up with a pair of Tannoy Legacy Ardens, I drive them with a 300B SET, I think your set up should sound very nice indeed. Keep posting as you get it set up.

Welcome to AoS

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Terry,

Excellent introduction! We are of similar age, and not surprisingly have similar tastes in music and there is some overlap in equipment we have used (I still have a Quad 33/303 as a 'back up').

Love the 'distressed' look of your equipment/record storage! I would imagine one would have to pay rather a lot for something like that, if bought from a bespoke audio salon.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast