+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 512 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm Keith.

Love Jennings Sneck Lifter. Many a good day's walking in the Lakes (it's brewed in Cockermouth, Cumbria) has been lost to a session on it the night before.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm ChrisB.

We've been swilling this for the last couple of weeks (sorry for the monster photo):

I spent most of my life thinking that I had a genetic abhorrence of Spanish wines, however, I've discovered in the last couple of years that, actually, they can crush a mean grape in that part of the world. This is a 2005 & not bad at all for a relative cheapie.

"Aromatic aromas reminiscent of coffee, tobbaco, and fruit compote. Complex on the palate, well structured with a long aftertaste".
    .............apparently!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I spent most of my life thinking that I had a genetic abhorrence of Spanish wines

I'm a big fan of Spanish wines, Rioja in particular, is probably my top tipple - but I kind of know what you mean - there's a lot of average stuff out there.

I'll try and seek that one out, thanks Chris.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

Many Spanish and actually, come to think of it, Italian wines have a note to their flavour which I find rather harsh - almost like a watered down version of Retsina.............but sometimes, it's not so watered down!!!!

I'm Dave.

Any Red wine is good as long as its at least 13%. The Aussie wines usually suffice. Any less is just not worth it!

2 x 14% reds a night make even a shite record sound bearable...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Ross.

Lots of wine to consider here.

Fan of Chateauneuf du Pape in particular.

Merlot and Rioja.

Ales: Honey Dew and London Pride, both by Fullers. Might have a Honey Dew right now actually.
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    Any Red wine is good as long as its at least 13%. The Aussie wines usually suffice. Any less is just not worth it!

2 x 14% reds a night make even a shite record sound bearable...
    Rubbish! That makes as much sense as saying any beer is good as long as it's at least 5%.

One of my favourite wines is Chateau Le Boscq, a Saint-Estephe with 12.5% ABV and Chateau Bellevue Chollet, a Bordeaux also 12.5% ABV.
    Barry

I'm Nobody.

I got hammered yesterday on Theakstons 'Old Peculier' yummy dark beer

I'm Clark.

Bloody squirrels raiding the walnut trees so have decided to do some home made Nocino in case there's none left to eat come September. I've run out of eau de vie so some rough 60% Polish Vodka will have to suffice for the spirit. Sacrilage I know but kills 2 birds with one stone.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/nocino/

I'm ChrisB.

In my industry squirrels are the enemy.......there's another recipe you could follow you know!

(wrong thread, I know)

Braised squirrel and watercress
    Main course: serves 4-5, several hours

Fergus Henderson, chef at St John's (26 St John Street, London EC1, tel: 020 7251 0848) started cooking squirrel after his mother saw the critters in her local Wiltshire butcher. And that's where it's best to find it ? by asking your local game butcher, especially in the countryside. He may be able to get some, or put you in touch with a farmer with a good shot.

4 squirrels, skinned by butcher
    Duck fat
    12 shallots
    15g/1oz dried porcini
    Splash of eau de prune, or cognac
    Approximately 500ml/1pint chicken stock
    Glass dry white wine
    4 pigs' trotters
    125g/4oz bacon, cut into small chunks
    1 carrot and 1 onion, both roughly chopped
    Bay leaf
    6 peppercorns
    Bunch watercress, roughly chopped

Scrub trotters, cover in water. Simmer with carrot, onion, peppercorns and bayleaf for several hours until tender. Cool. Strain. Extract meat and return to liquid. Leave to jellify. Keep overnight in fridge.

Cut squirrels into five – back legs, shoulders, saddle. Remove hearts and livers, brown in duck fat, splash with eau de prune, mash into paste, reserve. Soak porcini in a little hot water for half an hour. Drain, reserve liquid. Cook squirrel gently in duck fat until lightly browned. Flame in eau de prune, add wine. Place in casserole. Fry bacon and shallots in same fat, adding porcini. Season. Add to casserole, with porcini liquor and four tablespoons trotter jelly. Cover with stock. Add lid. Braise in oven (170C/ 325F/Gas 3) for two to three hours until tender. Stir in watercress. Serve with liver paste on toast.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ss-653737.html

+ Reply to Thread