+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 510 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Today it's a bottle of this with the leftover goose:

Link here: http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk/Tanne...ed/CR06308.htm

Marco.

I saw this in Super U in France ealier this year but i don't think it was £8.40 a bottle, i find that Bordeaux can be on the dry side so i try before i buy,

We Buy a fair bit from Lidl over there as it is good value and ok for a glass with your dinner during the week.
    we're drinking Pinot Noir at the moment but it from Jacobs creek and not a couple of quid a bottle like Lidl
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm ChrisB.

LOL - just neck it and shut it!

And this with the goose (Château Bel-Air, Lussac-St-Emilion 2006):

Bloody lurvely they were too!
    We've just run out of our stock of this - they always sell wine in those little bottles, don't they? The ones that don't have quite enough in them for that last glass you must have before bed. Then you have to open another.........& red doesn't keep so well, so you feel obliged to finish it............for health & safety purposes...................

That is a fantastic wine Marco, but rather variable from bottle to bottle, I've found. I bought a dozen (uncased) bottles back in November.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jon,

I saw this in Super U in France ealier this year but i don't think it was £8.40 a bottle, i find that Bordeaux can be on the dry side so i try before i buy...
    In France it was probably half that! We never managed to go over this year, unfortunately, so didn't stock up for Christmas there as we usually do. It is a rather nice claret, though.

You're absolutely right about Bordeaux - it can be as dry as an Arab's sandshoe, which is one of the reasons why we like it, as it goes exceptionally well with food, particularly lamb, which we eat quite a lot of. Well, the Welsh stuff is rather good!

We rarely drink wine unless it's accompanied with food.

The other reason we enjoy (decent) Bordeaux is because it's richly flavoured, full of ripe tannins, and generally full-bodied. We're predominantly into 'old world' wines (France, Italy, Spain, etc), and only very rarely venture into 'new world' varieties. The former simply suit our palates better, although we love big powerful Chilean reds, or indeed most good wines from South America.

We Buy a fair bit from Lidl over there as it is good value and ok for a glass with your dinner during the week.
    Lidl and Aldi are an excellent source for good quality value-for-money wine. Occasionally one can also find some truly excellent high-quality examples at bargain prices, such as the Château Grand Pey Lescours St Émilion Grand Cru at £7.99 a bottle:

Link here: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/produc.../2744_5999.htm

This is absolutely fantastic value for money, as a similar quality St Émilion Grand Cru in the likes of Tanners, Oddbins, Nicolas, etc, would cost at least double that amount. Aldi must have secured a very special price on this wine.

Another case in point is the truly superb Cave De Monterail Châteauneuf-Du-Pape at £6.99 a bottle:

Link here: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/produc.../2744_6292.htm

And if you like dessert wine (great with Christmas cake, mince pies, Panettone, etc) there is the St Amandus Beeren Auslese at £4.99 a bottle:

Link here: http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/2744_4210.htm (note that this shows the price in Euros). I got it for £4.99 a bottle in the Aldi in Wrexham.

This is a superb dessert wine; not as sickly and sweet as Sauternes or Tokaji Aszú, but 'fresher' on the palate, with bags of honey and raisin-like flavours - a veritable bargain for a quality dessert wine.

Nope, there's nowt wrong with Aldi (or Lidl) for all sorts of quality wine!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Chris,

We've just run out of our stock of this - they always sell wine in those little bottles, don't they? The ones that don't have quite enough in them for that last glass you must have before bed. Then you have to open another.........& red doesn't keep so well, so you feel obliged to finish it............for health & safety purposes...................

That is a fantastic wine Marco, but rather variable from bottle to bottle, I've found. I bought a dozen (uncased) bottles back in November.
    I didn't know you were into wine! Nice one, mate

Where do you get the Château Bel-Air, Lussac-St-Emilion 2006 from? We got ours from one of the branches of Nicolas in London when we were down there for JJ's MAD dinner.

Continuing through our Tanners Christmas selection, today we had a bottle of this rather excellent Burgundy-style wine from the southernmost tip of France, near to the Spanish border (Domaine de la Rectorie Les Séris, Collioure 2004):

Link here: http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk/Tanne...ed/FR04104.htm

...and enjoyed it with Welsh rib of beef in a red wine and caper sauce, accompanied with Chanterelle mushrooms, thin green beans, buttered white asparagus and rosemary and garlic potatoes - yum yum! Just finishing the rest of the wine off now with some cheese and biscuits. I'll post the details on the cheese thread later!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Heres one i have found on the shelves of Super U at around £2 a bottle it is a veritable bargain, very smooth and Fruity

The Châteauneuf-Du-Pape in France tends to be expensive in bottles i have found, but if you visit local cave you can buy it as table wine at starting at around £1.50 a litre

We drink Bourdeax but usually with cheese and also left on the window in the sun for a wee while to take any chill out, Gamay or Beaujolais as it is better known is a nice light drink for lunch times, a make by the name of Pisse-Dru is not bad, but don't buy the very cheap Gamay a certainty for a headache
    Jon

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer

Hi Jon,

That looks like an excellent quality table wine. French 'country wines', such as those, are often very good value and sometimes better than wines from the more 'celebrated' areas of France.

When we're in France we tend to buy wine direct from the vineyard where you can also taste it first, as we're usually there with the car so there's no shortage of space. We buy as many bottles between us as our quota will allow!

We also sometimes buy wine from small supermarkets/off-licences in little villages way off the beaten track when we're touring a particular area, as quite often you can pick up some phenomenal bargains there.

I once found a 1990 Pomerol for 10 Euros in a little village not that far from Calais... Needless to say, I bought a few bottles!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Imjustsurviving.

I once found a 1990 Pomerol for 10 Euros in a little village not that far from Calais... Needless to say, I bought a few bottles!

Marco.

I have bought a few bottles of Pomerol, you need to pick a good year as they do vary in taste a bit
    Jon

Set up

Damn right, and 1990 is a very good recent vintage for claret

It's not quite a '63, though, nor a Chateau Petrus!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Chris,

I didn't know you were into wine! Nice one, mate

Where do you get the Château Bel-Air, Lussac-St-Emilion 2006 from? We got ours from one of the branches of Nicolas in London when we were down there for JJ's MAD dinner.
    Well, I do like to drink a nice one, but I've always thought scoffing it's more important than talking about it!

I completely agree with your Aldi recommendation above by the way - I'd be happy if that were the only wine I were ever allowed to drink for the rest of my days - I'd say it must be the equal of wines costing £17 -£20.

The Ch. Bel-Air, we got from Booth's supermarkets - one of the better supermarket traders.

Hi Chris,

Well, I do like to drink a nice one, but I've always thought scoffing it's more important than talking about it!
    I hear what you're saying. Interestingly, I often feel the same way about music in terms of listening to it and talking about it... Let's just say that I'm as passionate about talking about wine (and food) as you are talking and writing about music!

However, I certainly enjoy indulging in both regularly in an active sense (listening to music and eating/talking about nice food and drinking/talking about nice wine)

For me though, wine and nice food go together hand-in-hand. I simply couldn't enjoy good claret, such as we're discussing, without the right food to go with it. That's why you'll often see me talk about the food I'm enjoying with the wine I'm drinking. Oh, and "the right food" doesn't necessarily mean expensive or 'fancy'; just home-cooked using fresh good quality ingredients.

I completely agree with your Aldi recommendation above by the way - I'd be happy if that were the only wine I were ever allowed to drink for the rest of my days - I'd say it must be the equal of wines costing £17 -£20.
    I presume that you're referring to the Château Grand Pey Lescours St Émilion Grand Cru?

I've never heard of Booth's supermarkets... I doubt there are any near me. I'll Google it and find out.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread