+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Just got a 401

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Where do I earth the tonearm cable at the Turntable end? Is there a general checklist to get the 401 running correctly, this TT is crazy complicated, so many levers! The controls are a bit clunky, but I am changing speed more than usual, having recently bought an amazing Donald Byrd 70s 12" single.

Depending on the arm it can sometimes (and sometimes not) be a good idea to earth the arm cable to the chassis - if you want to try it you can usually find a screw on the underside of the chassis to connect the cable to. As with earth arrangements generally, you have to experiment to find the quietest solution. I didn't need to earth the AT 1503 I had on my most recent 401 at the chassis (though I did at the SUT), but I recall earthing other arms previously on 401s and Lencos to the TT chassis as that was the quietest option.

Sometimes the quietest solution can be to let the phono plugs take care of earthing and don't connect a wire at all, in other cases one earth connection (at SUT/preamp) or two (also on TT chassis) can be best. Suck it and see. There is no universal principle here and people's experiences will vary according to what arms they have tried and how their various earths have been set up.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Does your tonearm cable have one or two earth cables?
    Two, one at either end. The deck was humming but its not the earthing, its the vibration, as when I press down quite hard on the front near the controls, the humming goes. Should the mounting bolts have nuts on? I guess so right? Sorry for my dumb dumb questions, I'm starting at the very beginning of my idle idler journey.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Depending on the arm it can sometimes (and sometimes not) be a good idea to earth the arm cable to the chassis - if you want to try it you can usually find a screw on the underside of the chassis to connect the cable to. As with earth arrangements generally, you have to experiment to find the quietest solution. I didn't need to earth the AT 1503 I had on my most recent 401 at the chassis (though I did at the SUT), but I recall earthing other arms previously on 401s and Lencos to the TT chassis as that was the quietest option.

Sometimes the quietest solution can be to let the phono plugs take care of earthing and don't connect a wire at all, in other cases one earth connection (at SUT/preamp) or two (also on TT chassis) can be best. Suck it and see. There is no universal principle here and people's experiences will vary according to what arms they have tried and how their various earths have been set up.
    Thanks Tom, think I've a while to go yet before this thing is set up correctly, firstly I need a tonearm cable that actually fits! The current one is right angled and is thus stopping the tonearm from being raised enough.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

montesquieu Guest

Hmm if it's vibration then do make sure you have released the motor from the transit bolts (usually painted red if you look top down), if they haven't been released and the motor isn't free then you will get serious vibration noise. If it's not that then there's possibly something up with either operation of either the bearing or the idler wheel, or it may be just resonance from not being bolted down as you suggest, mounting bolts needing nuts, yes they do. If you don't have the right size Peak Hifi have them. It's generally a good idea to bolt the deck down (unlike a TD124 which in some cases eg on a lightweight plinth is best just left sitting on its mushrooms).

I'm Mike.

Hmm if it's vibration then do make sure you have released the motor from the transit bolts (usually painted red if you look top down), if they haven't been released and the motor isn't free then you will get serious vibration noise. If it's not that then there's possibly something up with either operation of either the bearing or the idler wheel, or it may be just resonance from not being bolted down as you suggest, mounting bolts needing nuts, yes they do. If you don't have the right size Peak Hifi have them. It's generally a good idea to bolt the deck down (unlike a TD124 which in some cases eg on a lightweight plinth is best just left sitting on its mushrooms).
    The transit bolts are fully released, pretty sure some nuts on the mounting bolts will stop the humming sound.

I'm Mike.

Just wondering about the mounting bolts, do users have nuts on them when used in plywood or slate plinths? I noticed that pressing down on the front of the 401 gets rid of the hum. ALso any reccomendations for a cheapish - upto £70 tonearm cable to use with my Jelco, must be straight at the din end, Yannis Tome may'be? I understand there are slight differences in din plug size, as I found out when I ordered another model and it was much too tight.

I'm Martin.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    Thanks I had a Zafino but it was much too tight for my Jelco and Roksan Nima, I didn't realise these din plugs came in very slightly different sizes.

montesquieu Guest

Best with a Roksan cable then perhaps if the Nima plug is a bit weird. I've used the Zafvino cables with four different arms and never had any bother. (I run a Zavfino Highlands on my Ikeda IT345).

I'm Mike.

Best with a Roksan cable then perhaps if the Nima plug is a bit weird. I've used the Zafvino cables with four different arms and never had any bother. (I run a Zavfino Highlands on my Ikeda IT345).
    Was the same on my Jelco 750, impossibly tight. Looking at the Yannis Tome website, I see din plugs in slightly different sizes. Doesn't seem to be a standard size.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast