+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Passive Preamps

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Nothing's simple in hi-fi land.

................. A system that is technically perfect in every respect (if it existed) may not give the sound you want. So what use would it be to you?
    None whatsoever. Agreed.

But I can remember the days when you dare not set foot outside the door without checking the numbers to see what would work with what. Then we went through a perceived phase of almost anything worked with anything: now I think we're back to having to pay a bit more attention to the numbers again.

Or maybe it's just me and I'm fishing in a different pond ...............
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    None whatsoever. Agreed.

But I can remember the days when you dare not set foot outside the door without checking the numbers to see what would work with what. Then we went through a perceived phase of almost anything worked with anything: now I think we're back to having to pay a bit more attention to the numbers again.

Or maybe it's just me and I'm fishing in a different pond ...............
    Paying attention to the numbers, more than ever as you say is the thing to do.
    Some figures for considering. If contemplating

A passive attenuator then power amp sensitivity needs to be ideally below 1v and resistive loading 20k or greater, a Quad 306 is just the best specified being 375mv and 20k loading.
    The 303, 405, 306, 606, 707, 909 all offer good specifications for passives. Why other manufacturers cannot also do this ... starts to get political... Wot ! politics in HiFi ?

Sadly HiFi dare I say is quite political in its own way, namely active pre amp manufacturers want to remain in business, so their or similar power amps are made with 2 volt sensitivity or higher, the
    worst I have seen was 3.5v for full output, this automatically means one of two things matching the insensitive power amp with a active preamp or using a current buffer - either way they remain
    in business reinforcing their equipment.

However phono preamps are still needed, and stand alone phono preamps make a lot of sense.

So my advice is to, hunt down those power amp sensitivity and resistive loading figures - if you want to use a passive ... er as you should.

I'm Nige.

Hi,

Has anyone had good results using a passive Pre as a feed into a Valve Power amp? (2A3 stereo SE @ circa 3.5w)

If so which?

Thanks,

Nige

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeh View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone had good results using a passive Pre as a feed into a Valve Power amp? (2A3 stereo SE @ circa 3.5w)

If so which?

Thanks,

Nige
    I’ve used a Hattor into Audionote 2a3 SET monk blocks but they are high gain 6w versions, it works fine

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Nige.

Hi,

If so which?

Thanks,

Nige

I'm Andre.

One of the early Hi-Fi shows i attended was at Victoria Hotel, Buxton, Derbyshire. There was Russ Andrews with a Modded Leak 'Stereo 20' with his passive. If i remember it was driving modded 'ESL-57's & Garrard '301' . One of the best sounding systems i'd listen to, I sat in that room for hours without moving.. So yeah that indeed work.

I'm Michael.

I use a Townshend Allegri+ http://www.townshendaudio.com/allegri/ into an Eternal Arts OTL http://www.audioclassica.de/de/Etern...TL-Mark-2.html and get the best sound I ever had at home!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567