+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Microphones

I'm Dave.

Default Microphones

We don’t seem to have a thread for microphones.

Does anyone out there have views on microphones?

OK - I can’t afford very expensive microphones, and of course many are now available quite cheaply, usually made in the Far East, but the quality may be variable. For example, look for ribbon mics. on Amazon, and you’ll probably find at least one review where the reviewer gives a mic maybe 5 stars, but out of the box it was DOA. In some of those, rather than send it back for a refund - which I would almost certainly have done - the new “owner” dismantled it and then put it back together. Presumably people who do that really do know what they’re doing - or maybe they are just clueless! The result - apparently - if nothing goes wrong can be fantastic - otherwise it may be £100 written off. Ouch!!

Basic microphones are usually dynamic (basically like a small loudspeaker in reverse - principle anyway) or condenser microphones, and may, or may not, have an inbuilt audio interface. Ones that do nowadays often have an inbuilt ADC and output to USB. Others output analogue signals, and need an external audio interface if digital recording is desired. Of course, it is possible to just feed an analogue signal direct into a pre-amp/amp, and not bother with digital.

Anyway, that’s got a thread started. Anyone else interested? Since we’re all on lock down I ordered a few mics to keep me amused, but delivery won’t be for a while. The first one to arrive may come next week, but the interface I’ll need to get it to work won’t arrive till after mid April.
    Dave

I'm Russell.

I have a passing interest in Microphones too as am a Drummer who also sings lead in a covers band.

I think I've tried all the protagonists from SM57/8's, Heil, Rode to Neumann KMS105 etc. I've now settled on a sE Electonics V7 for lead vocal duties which seems a good balance for me.

Condensers pick up too much of the kit and most usual Dynamic mic's sound a bit muddy on my vocals. Even tried the old Britney Spears head worn mics but felt too much of a tw4t wearing it!

I'm Pete.

I use a Yeti Blue microphone for doing my radio shows. Had the mic for 5 years or so and according to listeners is very clear. Has various settings for directional and omni directional which is good.
    Solidly built too.
    For discos i use a kam radio mic which i find very clear with a great range on it.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorps View Post
    I use a Yeti Blue microphone for doing my radio shows. Had the mic for 5 years or so and according to listeners is very clear. Has various settings for directional and omni directional which is good.
    Solidly built too.
    For discos i use a kam radio mic which i find very clear with a great range on it.
    I used to have a Blue Encore 200 which I found acceptable.

Could use it passively as a standard Dynamic or active using the sound desks Phantom Power which did open it up a little.

I'm Phil.

i do audio at community centre and we use the shure sm58 for vocals etc and an expensive condensor for lecturn use

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/dynamic-v...UaAvuSEALw_wcB
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Andre.

Audio Technica AT4050ST

I'm Ian.

I had two Shure SM58's when I was in a band. One was straight wired to the desk while the other ran through a Nady cordless set up. There was a certain amount of adjustment using the Nady. The only issue with the Nady was it's immense appetite for batteries lol.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

+ Reply to Thread