+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marantz CD Player Replacement Belt Issues, going bad in a few years.

I'm Neil.

Default Marantz CD Player Replacement Belt Issues, going bad in a few years.

Curious if anyone else has had issues with replacement belts for Marantz CD players not lasting.

So few years ago my Marantz CD7 had door opening and closing issues, the belts. The belts were replaced by an engineer I know and trust. He ordered belts, fitted them and everything worked. I had a Marantz CD94 mk2 serviced in the same way before the CD7 was.

So yesterday I fancied using the CD7 and it has the early stages of belt issues, drawer not opening fully and needing a hand to close and a few times it will open again. It plays CDs perfectly. Slightly frustrated I got out my CD94 and it has complete belt failure.

I am amazed that with minimal use, careful storage that the replacement belts have gone bad in such a short period of time.

Anyone had these issues? Is it because I am not using the CD players very often. Any ideas?
    Regards Neil

I'm Chris.

I recall replacing a belt in a CD52Mk2 , it is still OK. i think it is other factors that are causing belts to wear . The draw opening relies on as little friction as possible on all the moving parts
    which need to be inspected at the same time, Sort of suggests if your belts are wearing then the belt is doing too much work carrying other frictions, its not designed for.
    Lithium white grease is usually used to assist plastic to plastic interfaces.

An aside, but related ( sort of ) I recently repaired a distressed Philips DVD player, the mechanism was stuck on what was a poorly manufactured part with regard to movement and
    tolerances caused by that movement. it necessitated a pair of small side cutters to cut a jamming plastic piece out, which fixed it. It now works perfectly

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    I recall replacing a belt in a CD52Mk2 , it is still OK. i think it is other factors that are causing belts to wear . The draw opening relies on as little friction as possible on all the moving parts
    which need to be inspected at the same time, Sort of suggests if your belts are wearing then the belt is doing too much work carrying other frictions, its not designed for.
    Lithium white grease is usually used to assist plastic to plastic interfaces.

An aside, but related ( sort of ) I recently repaired a distressed Philips DVD player, the mechanism was stuck on what was a poorly manufactured part with regard to movement and
    tolerances caused by that movement. it necessitated a pair of small side cutters to cut a jamming plastic piece out, which fixed it. It now works perfectly
    The players are kept in storage (in an equipment rack), so not been used much at all, thats why I am surprised they have both failed within a few years of being replaced.
    Regards Neil

I'm Andrew.

I have the same CD Drive in my Theta Data Basic Transport and have had issues in the past with the door opening and closing . Firstly and I think this will apply with all Marantz and Phillips players never push the door closed alwasy use the remote or the close button on the player . Even gentle pressure pushing the drawer closed can cause issues so try and advoid.

Now I know this will apply to your CD94 not too sure if the same will apply to your CD7 ,if you have been closing the drawer by pushing it then there is a plastic cog wheel that often gets damaged as well as streching the belts . Originals are not available anymore but if you search for CDM9 Cog Wheel there are replacements from China that you can use. You ay find that this being replaced along with the belts solves any issues my Theta Data Basic works fine and does not get too much use but also does not stick . I am very careful that no one hwo uses it closes the drawer with anything but the close button .

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    I have the same CD Drive in my Theta Data Basic Transport and have had issues in the past with the door opening and closing . Firstly and I think this will apply with all Marantz and Phillips players never push the door closed alwasy use the remote or the close button on the player . Even gentle pressure pushing the drawer closed can cause issues so try and advoid.

Now I know this will apply to your CD94 not too sure if the same will apply to your CD7 ,if you have been closing the drawer by pushing it then there is a plastic cog wheel that often gets damaged as well as streching the belts . Originals are not available anymore but if you search for CDM9 Cog Wheel there are replacements from China that you can use. You ay find that this being replaced along with the belts solves any issues my Theta Data Basic works fine and does not get too much use but also does not stick . I am very careful that no one hwo uses it closes the drawer with anything but the close button .
    I haven’t pushed the door closed on the CD 94 except briefly today when it would not open on its own via the open button/close button. I helped it very gently, this is how I knew the belts were bad, because there was no traction via them - I had the side and top off and could see the main belt assembly. The point is they were put in 2 years ago, the player barely used and have gone bad. Surely this can’t be normal.

The CD7 the drawer is opening, but not fully, almost fully and will close and play a cd but every so often it won’t and the drawer opens on its own. This is also down to belts. I found this out today as well. It too had not been used in awhile, but when last use worked perfectly.
    Regards Neil

I'm Dennis.

I'm worried about my own, but I molysliped the mechanics, and made sure that the belt was very clean. I suspect that atmospheric conditions are largely to blame, ozone and oxidation, and UV light to an extent.

I'm Lawrence.

Phillips had that issue with belt grease a few years ago, the one that nearly sent Micromega under. I wonder if it's something to do with that.

I'm Shaun.

Very interesting thread. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was not aware of such issues.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Phillips had that issue with belt grease a few years ago, the one that nearly sent Micromega under. I wonder if it's something to do with that.
    Lubrication of parts could be an issue. I was watching a video earlier today, repair of a DAT player and it wasn’t the belts it was lube of the parts having gone goopy or dried out.

I will need to get these looked at and see what the issue is, belts or lube, or both.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Very interesting thread. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was not aware of such issues.

It could be poor quality, cheap, nasty belts, or another issue. I am pretty sure the guy who fixed these before did attend to lubrication etc. So I will keep everyone posted when these get looked at.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast