+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beresford Caiman DAC -- third impressions

I'm Alex.

Default Beresford Caiman DAC -- third impressions

Well, approximately one week into the burn in (right now clicking at 160th hour of uninterrupted burn in), and it's uncanny -- Caiman keeps getting better by the hour!

Yesterday I've noticed how the bass really firmed up and gained even more muscle and depth (as if that was even possible!) Today, I'm noticing a very in-your-face opening up in the mid frequencies. This is especially audible with choirs, backing vocals, and of course, the lead singers. The 'room to breathe' surrounding human voices is unbelievable. It is as if layers of heavy curtains are gradually being lifted, so that with each listening session, I get to hear more of a human voice, more of a guitar string slapping against the fretboard.

When is this rapid improvement going to stop? How's it possible that with each hour, I keep hearing more and more while listening to the same material? What kind of a voodoo is this?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Gary.

So uhm, you quite like it then?
    Just wait till you start modding it....
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Glad it's come good for you Alex.

I'm Dave.

Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    When is this rapid improvement going to stop? How's it possible that with each hour, I keep hearing more and more while listening to the same material? What kind of a voodoo is this?
    I have to say I don't understand it, but your experiences are somewhat similar to mine. I don't know why it doesn't seem to happen with other equipment - or at least not in such a favourable way.

I do wonder how much it would cost to do all mods which gazjam is hinting at. I'm scared to do any myself right now, as I'm reasonably happy with the DAC as it is. Isn't there a danger that the mods could make things worse? Also, if - say - the mods brought the total cost up to around £500, would that still be a competitive price? I don't know what the competitors are in that price range.

I'm pretty happy with mine - and glad that you are with yours.
    Dave

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Glad it's come good for you Alex.
    Thanks. i'd like to thank all of you who had encouraged me to be more patient and to give it more time...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Jerry.

I do wonder how much it would cost to do all mods which gazjam is hinting at. I'm scared to do any myself right now, as I'm reasonably happy with the DAC as it is. Isn't there a danger that the mods could make things worse? Also, if - say - the mods brought the total cost up to around £500, would that still be a competitive price? I don't know what the competitors are in that price range.

If you follow the Caiman mod thread I think you can be sure that it won't sound worse. Including a new power supply it would cost about £100
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post

If you follow the Caiman mod thread I think you can be sure that it won't sound worse. Including a new power supply it would cost about £100
    This now becomes a question of what's the next biggest bang for the buck? At least for me. The Caiman was a fantastic bang for the buck, no doubt. Probably the biggest one I've ever experienced in the enchanted world of audio reproduction.

Here is what I'm thinking right now, please throw in your advice if you feel so inclined:

1. Replace Logitech Squeezebox Duet with Logitech Touch
    2. Order bespoke Mye stands for my Magneplanar speakers (the guy quoted me at $545.00 Canadian)
    3. Buy second-hand Golden Tube Audio SE-40 valve power amp (the seller was asking $700.00 Canadian, is now wiling to give me a discount)
    4. Mod the Caiman (as per your suggestion above)

Not sure which of the above four would take me the farthest in terms of improving the sound quality. Will the improvement in the digital transport (from Duet to Touch) be clearly audible in terms of making everything sound even better? Or, should I spring for a couple of hundred bucks more and get the super cool Mye stands (https://myesound.com/Gallery.html)? Reportedly, these stands make hair raising improvements to the sound for Magneplanar users.

Or should I instead spend similar type of money on purchasing the valve power amp? The improvement in the sound quality coming from such a good valve power amp is indeed noticeable (I've already auditioned it).

Or, should I go cheap and for $150.00 mod the Caiman?

Choices, choices...
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 11-05-2010 at 20:38.

Alex.

I'm notAlone.

I advice to wait for a few months before changing anything at the source level.

You should try upgrading the speakers and amp instead, imho.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    I advice to wait for a few months before changing anything at the source level.

You should try upgrading the speakers and amp instead, imho.
    Thanks Dimitri. I found this 100 wpc tube (valve) amp in my hood:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...730533795.html

The name of the power amp is Allegro II (it was apparently hand built in Hong Kong), however I couldn't find any online references for it. Does anyone here know anything about this amp?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread