+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warm sounding cartridge or phono pre-amp

I'm Robert.

Default Warm sounding cartridge or phono pre-amp

I recently got a Project Classic with the Ortofon Silver Cartridge and whilst I love the looks the sound is a little on the thin side.

Can anyone recommend a cartridge to replace the Ortofon that has a richer more substantial presentation (to go with a Rega phono pre) or a replacement for the Rega that would go well with the Ortofon and give me the sound I am looking for.

Thanks.

I'm Geoff.

A vintage Shure cartridge could be the thing. They certainly don't sound weedy.

When asking for recommendations, stating your budget is a good idea.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A vintage Shure cartridge could be the thing. They certainly don't sound weedy.

When asking for recommendations, stating your budget is a good idea.
    Budget would be around £400.

I'm Geoff.

For a bit more, you'd buy a Rega Fono MC and a new Denon DL-103 low output moving coil cartridge. Locate a good second hand DL-103 (they are not hard to find) and you could be within budget. The DL-103 would never be accused of sounding 'thin'!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    For a bit more, you'd buy a Rega Fono MC and a new Denon DL-103 low output moving coil cartridge. Locate a good second hand DL-103 (they are not hard to find) and you could be within budget. The DL-103 would never be accused of sounding 'thin'!
    There's a Denon AU320 SUT in the classifieds which could be bought along with a new 103 under budget, and use the existing phono stage. Great combo (I use one and it is as far from 'thin' sounding as I can imagine) but I don't know your phono stage and how that might contribute.
    Mind you, the Denon likes a massy arm, not sure the Project is ideal in that respect?
    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Rega phono stage and I would suggest you retain that and buy a better balanced cartridge than the 2M Silver. Something like a Rega Exact, Goldring or Hana should do the job nicely.

Get that Silver on the classifieds or E-Bay and the changeover won't be expensive.

I'm Neil.

Have you run it in ? If reaction is based on a not run in cart, then run it in and then decide. I suspect you are not hearing it run in. Also is the Rega set up right for it and the arm cart properly set up/aligned ?
    Regards Neil

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Have you run it in ? If reaction is based on a not run in cart, then run it in and then decide. I suspect you are not hearing it run in. Also is the Rega set up right for it and the arm cart properly set up/aligned ?
    The cartridge has probably 15 or so hours on it so maybe need to give it a bit more time before rushing into another purchase....

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    The cartridge has probably 15 or so hours on it so maybe need to give it a bit more time before rushing into another purchase....

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1969 View Post
    No where near enough time on it, 50 hours to 100
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast