+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HDMI cables are all the same?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Taking a bit of flak here Barry!
    Don't let it get to you mate it's all friendly.

First up,
    Video quality is important to me.
    Trying to play the "can't we all just get along" card, just this once, I'll put forward this, and ask you to have a think about it.

Some people prefer a brighter picture on their TVs, others turn the colour up to make it look "richer", because it's their preference.
    That's the subjective part?

Conversely: There are facts that are facts...that are facts...as I think your alluding to.

For myself, OLED was a gamechanger.
    Some things are just better.
    I've had mine ISF calibrated and yup, the pictures better for the calibration.
    After calibration though, I was presented with a choice of 3 profiles, to accommodate my preferences, which I found interesting.

So I hear you on the picture calibration and standards.
    Video quality and preference is subjective just as with audio IMO.
    For music..."Is it like I am i sitting at the recording desk listening to this?" or "Feels like I am in the 4th row at a live gig!", usually works.

But...there's no universally subjectively preferred way (by all) of viewing video.
    Again, that's the subjective part...

Can't really say it's unfair to say that colour grading in movies can completely change the experience of seeing the same film?
    How many "Director's cuts" and anniversary reissues were put out where the picture was messed about with (grain removed, colours enhanced, DNR applied...etc) to outcry by the "purists"?
    Crikey, just look at the Star Wars reissues with updated SFX!

but I'd ask the question - One can say this is the best picture because its "calibrated" - But I'd ask...the best to whom?
    Only thing that matters to ME is how something performs...in my room...with my eyes...with my equipment.

No disrespect, but have to disagree with you one important point:
    Its my opinion that Video IS subjective - just like audio!
    It's the brain interpreting inputs, thats all it is. Same with music.

My point, if there is one , is that the calibrated "standard" was created by people who CHOSE those settings,I'd ask you to contrast that with the nebulous concept of "artistic vision", bringing in aspects like colour grading, cinematography and the like.

And interestingly...and to your point...
    Trying out different HDMI cables and finally settling on the "one" for me with my AV kit, I was able to clearly see these differences - and the differences the way different HDMI cables presented them.

...for the record.
    Can I ask who did the calibration and why you had it done please?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    Can I ask who did the calibration and why you had it done please?
    Honestly?

I'm happy to tell you and would recommend to everyone, he's top of his game and happy to share his expertise (YouTube 135K+ subscribers)

I had it done because my Sony A1E OLED was a game changer in image quality and wanted to exorcise the niggle that I could possibly make the picture quality even better.
    Was purely a box ticking exercise and my thought was it couldn't do any harm.

But...
    not sure if your question has the same well meaning intent behind it I had when I replied to your posts..
    or frankly, if your just a Troll.

By the way, asking for a friend, are you the same Dr Winston O Boogie that was on Wigwam?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 09-08-2019 at 15:42.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm barry.

Honestly?

I'm happy to tell you and would recommend to everyone, he's top of his game and happy to share his expertise (YouTube 135K+ subscribers)

I had it done because my Sony A1E OLED was a game changer in image quality and wanted to exorcise the niggle that I could possibly make the picture quality even better.
    Was purely a box ticking exercise and my thought was it couldn't do any harm.

But...
    not sure if your question has the same well meaning intent behind it I had when I replied to your posts..
    or frankly, if your just a Troll.

By the way, asking for a friend, are you the same Dr Winston O Boogie that was on Wigwam?
    I am Sgt Pepper on Wigwam.

Not trolling but genuinly interested as I know most of them.

You had your TV calibrated, but you say the HDMI your using improves that yes?

I'm Gary.

Why do you ask?

Re-read any of my previous posts if unsure.
    It's all open and in public knowledge.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm barry.

Why do you ask?

Re-read any of my previous posts if unsure.
    It's all open and in public knowledge.
    You never mentioned his name?

OOPs crossed wires. If the HDMI is changing the colour on your TV as you think your ISF calibration for Day, Night and Gaming will be of no use because if it were true your colour gamut and gamma would have changed.

I'm Gary.

HDT....
    Naa.

By the way thats the last post of mine I engage with you in a constructive nature.

Basically, ran out of arsedness for recycling the same old arguments again and again, and despite some effort on my part you have proven (to me) with your posts,

Your just one of THOSE guys.

Sorry Man.
    Fill your boots, just not on my time.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm barry.

HDT....
    Naa.

By the way thats the last post of mine I engage with you in a constructive nature.

Basically, ran out of arsedness for recycling the same old arguments again and again, and despite some effort on my part you have proven (to me) with your posts,

Your just one of THOSE guys.

Sorry Man.
    Fill your boots, just not on my time.
    One of Those Guys?

I only asked for the calibrators name, no offense intended.

I'm Gary.

Some offense taken.
    Sorry, but that's just how you come across.

...and you know your being a wee bit naughty.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm barry.

Some offense taken.
    Sorry, that's just how you come across.
    Like how, I only showed an interest in who did your ISF calibration as it is what I do but not to ISF standard I am afraid, way to expensive for the equipment they use ( although the I One Display Pro Colourimeter is excellent). I am not sure how that was offensive?

Here is a link to Kalibrate, they provide the meters and Chromapure software that would get anyone interest in the DIY route started. Run by Ricky J., mention me you might get a discount.

https://www.chromapure.co.uk/details...d=24&type=blog

What is offensive is:
    Being told you are not talking facts but opinion
    Posts backing up my argument being ignored
    Being threatened to be banned for trying to help people better understand the nature of HDMI and Picture quality after 10 years involved in the field.
    Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie; 09-08-2019 at 16:27.

+ Reply to Thread