+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Military aircraft classics

I'm Grant.

Amraams yup. Great weapon.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Just looked it up, it was the Skyflash when I was younger, the Amraam replaced it later. For those interested in such matters!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It was like the world was coming to an end.
    The thing I remember about the Lightnings at RAF Binbrook is that they would take off in pairs with reheat unlike the Typhoons at RAF Coningsby today. The noise from the Lightnings impressed the most because of the way it would thunder into my chest making me feel everso slightly sick.

I'm Shaun.

Talking of the Tornado, does anyone remember the early F2 variant with the concrete in the nose to balance the damn thing..? In the early days the electronics didn't work so it was stuffed full of concrete to balance out the weight lost from no avionics or so the story goes.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Talking of the Tornado, does anyone remember the early F2 variant with the concrete in the nose to balance the damn thing..? In the early days the electronics didn't work so it was stuffed full of concrete to balance out the weight lost from no avionics or so the story goes.
    yes they decided to try and make an interceptor out of a ground attack vehicle and at same time put an untested new radar in it. radar never got working and wasnt installed, so it got dubbed the blue circle radar

Mind you it wasnt as bad as the Scimitar. One of the worst planes we made, and probably the most prone to crash.....oh and they put a nuclear bomb in too
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

I never knew about the Scimitar, slightly before my time

In fact the only Scimitar I remember was a V6 powered jobbie by Reliant. Anyhow, another story and another classic.

I like the 'Blue Circle' tag for the F2 though, very appropriate. I did get a damn fine photograph of a very early F2 climbing out of RAF Waddington on full reheat. It still had the little black triangles on it for whatever purpose, I'm guessing photography. It was back around 1981 as I took it using a 500mm mirror lens on my then Pentax ME. Always loved the fire in its arse, those RB199's giving the ground a good shaking.

Lovely looking aircraft I always thought but I preferred the 'other' version.

I'm Grant.

The Scimitar was designed to be able to make an unaccelerated carrier take-off, not that it ever did... well i think they did it once just to prove it could, but with no weight in. It thus had thick wings and was downright dangerous, and most of them crashed. Much like the Sea Vixen, a death trap
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The Scimitar was designed to be able to make an unaccelerated carrier take-off, not that it ever did... well i think they did it once just to prove it could, but with no weight in. It thus had thick wings and was downright dangerous, and most of them crashed. Much like the Sea Vixen, a death trap
    Was the Sea Vixen the aircraft that broke into pieces at an airshow killing quite a few people..?

I'm Grant.

Was the Sea Vixen the aircraft that broke into pieces at an airshow killing quite a few people..?
    one crashed at farnborough(early 50's) ...it was so screwed up it never really flew much in anger and was retired in early 70's.. it killed fifty one RN aircrew.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

It was the DH110 development prototype. I knew somebody who'd been there and saw the whole thing happen right in front of him.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 14-08-2019 at 09:20.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast