+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: "Ello John dya drive a motor"

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    lol... was just a wee jest...i think been to hamburg, although it was just before it got inundated by the east. tbh 95% of folk i spoke to were not really for it. yup, in their own country you couldn't find nicer folk.
    buggers when they go "on tour" tho
    Yes they don't have that easy-going, open minded nature that we Brits abroad are known for...(just so long as we don't have to eat any of that foreign muck)
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

lol... was just a wee jest...i think been to hamburg, although it was just before it got inundated by the east. tbh 95% of folk i spoke to were not really for it. yup, in their own country you couldn't find nicer folk.
    Lol.... Never experienced that, or indeed the strange breed who (apparently) place towels on deck chairs in Spanish beach resorts!

Actually, tonight I'm having some of Lidl's excellent (and rather authentic) brātwurst:

Superb, pan-fried, nice and golden, and served with paprika-salted hand-cut chips, and a selection of nice pickles, along with a good dollop of German mustard (senf). We bring this stuff back from Germany, which has a nice 'kick' to it:

...all washed down with one of my favourite German beers:

...which I buy from here: https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/beer...-munchner-hell

Marco [who's never been to a Spanish beach resort in his life].
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol.... Never experienced that, or indeed the strange breed who (apparently) place towels on deck chairs in Spanish beach resorts!

Actually, tonight I'm having some of Lidl's excellent (and rather authentic) brātwurst:

Superb, pan-fried, nice and golden, and served with paprika-salted hand-cut chips, and a selection of nice pickles, along with a good dollop of German mustard (senf). We bring this stuff back from Germany, which has a nice 'kick' to it:

...all washed down with one of my favourite German beers:

...which I buy from here: https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/beer...-munchner-hell

Marco [who's never been to a Spanish beach resort in his life].
    When i was going to spain in late 60's 70's they did it all the time much to the annoyance of every other nationality. They took it in turns to get up at 6am and take all their friends towels down and get a load of deckchairs into the best spot, leaving a towel on each then retire for breakfast.
    No idea if they still do it(probably not as now the towels would be nicked).

They were also arrogant and loud. I was pleasantly surprised when i went to Germany to find they were the opposite within their own country....positively helpful and pleasant
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Lol, so those strange creatures actually existed? Were they more arrogant and loud than Brits [read as mainly English] abroad? Thank goodness I've only ever met the latter from your description!

Do you like brātwurst, btw?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I take everyone as I find them - if they live up to stereotypes that is their problem not mine. Generally I find individual travellers abroad are free from the stereotypical behaviour of travellers/holidaymakers en masse.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Oh yes Marco, they can be buggers, with sun loungers, and when in self-serve restaurants they don't mind a bit of queue barging. This has been our experience in Bulgaria, though to be fair we found Russians to be just as bad, and we Brits have pretty much caught up when it comes to towel-on-sunbeds-at-dawn. Didn't bother me as I can't think of anything worse than spending the day round the pool.

Last September (I missed this as I was at the shop at the time), Anita plated up some breakfast items, put them on a vacant table, then went to get a couple of juices. Upon returning she found our food pushed to a corner of the table and this German* lady sat on her chair, with her kids installed in the other seats. Anita politely informed her that this was where we were dining, but just got some indecipherable comment and a dismissive wave of her hand. Neither woman could understand the other (though it would be quite likely that the other woman knew perfectly what was being said.

What she didn't know however was Anita's intolerance for such nonsense, and it must have come as a bit of a shock when Anita grabbed the back of the chair and tipped her onto the floor. Strangely this drew no reaction from the other diners-probably an everyday thing.

Nothing breaks down language barriers like direct action!

No German women were harmed in the making of this work of (part) fiction (the bit about tipping her on the floor is true though).

I know it's not very PC to generalise, and I'm sure humans are fundamentally the same the world over, but when an individual lives up to their stereotype it's hard not to. I daresay Mrs. P's hotheadedness will have reinforced a stereotype for someone too.

*May not have been German, but definitely not British

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Last September (I missed this as I was at the shop at the time), Anita plated up some breakfast items, put them on a vacant table, then went to get a couple of juices. Upon returning she found our food pushed to a corner of the table and this German* lady sat on her chair, with her kids installed in the other seats. Anita politely informed her that this was where we were dining, but just got some indecipherable comment and a dismissive wave of her hand. Neither woman could understand the other (though it would be quite likely that the other woman knew perfectly what was being said.

What she didn't know however was Anita's intolerance for such nonsense, and it must have come as a bit of a shock when Anita grabbed the back of the chair and tipped her onto the floor.

Funny as FUCK!!!! Tell Anita that I'm now a fully paid-up member of her fan club!

Pity she didn't boot the arrogant, selfish cow (whatever nationality she was) in the fanny, when she was down on the deck..... Now *that* would've made for primo comedy on YouTube.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Funny as FUCK!!!! Tell Anita that I'm now a fully paid-up member of her fan club!

Pity she didn't boot the arrogant, selfish cow (whatever nationality she was) in the fanny, when she was down on the deck..... Now *that* would've made for primo comedy on YouTube.

Marco.
    Oh no we shouldn't encourage her I'm not very good with confrontation, probably why we work well together. By combining her no-nonsense approach and my pathological need to be liked, we can amalgamate our names to become a nice guy named Stan.

It was our last day there, so we didn't get to exchange addresses, with the promise to stay in touch

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

"Ello John Gotta New Motor?"

My take is that cars interest me less and less as a transportation medium.....maybe as a fun drive with the top down on clear roads but commuting in rush hour traffic leaves me cold.

There are bad cyclists just as there are plenty of bad drivers. I was thinking recently about drivers who seem to panic and get over safe when they see a cyclist. They hold back for ages not wanting to pass as if they cant judge what the hells going on or realise there is plenty of space to pass quickly and be on their way. Just as dangerous in my view as they ramp up the tension for me and impatient drivers behind them

A key point is the need for a passive cycling technique....not cycling like I own the road. Im never going to win against motor vehicles so I see no point in a racing bike and asserting myself on busy roads. There is a fine balance that comes with experience.

I have also noticed a rise in angry or very aggressive drivers...maybe it was always that way but the clogged up roads and cost of motoring has seemed to bring out a real road rage where these people think they are the moral guardians of the road system.

To be fair there are cyclists like that as well and it doesnt get anywhere but anger, assault and you tube videos

The deep issues are a road system that cant cope and car ownership ingrained in our culture. I get confused about it because I would love to drive my MX5 on clear roads.

The real answers are things that nobody seems prepared to deal with yet
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 30-12-2018 at 15:04.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I was taught to give cyclists at least 6 foot of clearence when overtaking, and when overtaking to do it at no more than 30mph. That requires appropriate road conditions, and waiting for the right opportunity whilst being up close to the cyclist only intimidates them. So not easy, but a cyclist is far more vulnerable and if drivers behind me don't like it, then tough.

Everyone is in far too much of a rush these days, and any courtesy shown is rare.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast