+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flooding woes and the P.O

I'm Josie.

Default Flooding woes and the P.O

Hi all.

So since the floods around where we live we still have no post. The post office has posted a very vague message on their website with no expected date for post.

If you have seen the footage on the news, the yard of post office vans is our main post office and not being from around here, others who have been here all their lives have never seen it flood like this.

Flood waters have receded but there are still roads which are closed.

My heart goes out to everyone who has been flooded out.... lets face it, the government couldn't give a crap.

I'm angry, very disappointed in the response from the government.

Has anyone else been affected?

Thanks
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

So since the floods around where we live we still have no post. The post office has posted a very vague message on their website with no expected date for post.

If you have seen the footage on the news, the yard of post office vans is our main post office and not being from around here, others who have been here all their lives have never seen it flood like this.

Flood waters have receded but there are still roads which are closed.

My heart goes out to everyone who has been flooded out.... lets face it, the government couldn't give a crap.

I'm angry, very disappointed in the response from the government.

Has anyone else been affected?

Thanks
    Jo
    Glad its only post that you have had issues with and not more direct effects. Flooding is awful.
    Regards Neil

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Glad its only post that you have had issues with and not more direct effects. Flooding is awful.
    Yep... we are lucky. But for people who have been flooded it was a total shock as they had never flooded before.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Martin.

Yep, I am out in the sticks in Lincolnshire and have only fields as neighbours, nearest dwelling is about 1/2 a mile away. The field on one side has flooded and subsequently filled our soak away for the septic tank, which then fills the septic tank itself. Essentially we cannot get rid of any foul waste right now. We had the tank emptied yesterday but it refilled immediately, at least now we are only full of "clean" water.

I have been pumping it out since Saturday and it's still not at a level where we can use the service.

I will spare you the details but a portaloo is on the cards to go with stand up washing etc etc. Not as bad as some folk have it but in my own personal little world it's quite a trauma.....

I'm Gary.

What never ceases to amaze me are the people you see on the news who appear to have made no effort whatsoever to move any belongings upstairs. Dvd players, TVs, vacuum cleaners, dining chairs etc.

Obviously there are circumstances where people are flooded without warning but when you can see it rising over a period of hours surely you'd try to save what you could?

If I was an insurance assessor they wouldn't get paid out on the basis they'd made no effort to minimise the loss
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    What never ceases to amaze me are the people you see on the news who appear to have made no effort whatsoever to move any belongings upstairs. Dvd players, TVs, vacuum cleaners, dining chairs etc.

Obviously there are circumstances where people are flooded without warning but when you can see it rising over a period of hours surely you'd try to save what you could?

If I was an insurance assessor they wouldn't get paid out on the basis they'd made no effort to minimise the loss
    And they're usually the ones saying 'This is the third time we've been flooded.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

I remember the floods in Somerset a few years ago, villages were cut off for days and people were outraged that the authorities weren't making the water evaporate or otherwise disperse quickly enough. Eventually the army were sent in, presumably to shoot the floodwater after the police failed miserably to arrest it
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Martin.

The PM and the rest of the cabinet should have shown up and personally bailed out all the houses whilst the locals stood around and watched, or went down the pub.

Isn't the whole point of having a government so that you don't have to do anything for yourself? Especially not things like planning ahead when you live in a flood zone and it starts raining heavily.

Now if we had a labour gov then you'd get a reward for letting your house get flooded. The more times it flood the more money you'd get. And possibly an OBE or a knighthood too.

And there would be patrols sent out - anyone seen attempting to take independent action such as filling sandbags or reinforcing flood defenses would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and then deported. Bloody self-starters! We don't need them or want them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Hibster_2000 Guest

The flooding looks pretty awful, and Bono may be the latest version of King Canute, but I do not think that anybody has the power or resources to stop the flooding. I think that the reaction should have been much better organised, with support for the people affected.

I'm Dave.

If the rivers were routinely dredged and cleaned, as they once were, a lot of the flooding wouldn't happen.

Not much chance of flooding round here because there are no rivers but roads are now regularly flooded because the farmers no longer clear the ditches.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast