+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Great Classical Recordings

MartinT Guest

Beethoven - Triple Concerto, Zimmermann, Cohen, Manz, Saraste, ECO, EMI [vinyl]

Since we mentioned the Triple Concerto above, this is another fine recording (later on the CfP label). I can't find a picture of it or much reference at all. However, my Penguin guide says "Jukka-Pekka Saraste and the ECO provide a lively, understanding accompaniment, and the performance has splendid spontaneity throughout."

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Biff - the 13th is brilliant but I would class it as difficult music, if quite awesome and terrifying. You may also want to consider his 5th or 10th symphonies and the 1st & 2nd piano concertos.
    Apparently, I was completely wrong, as I forgot I picked this up a while ago. I have no idea whether this is a good performance and or good pressing; but, I'm about to find out. I'm not at all familiar with the USSR Symphony. The vinyl is in excellent condition, I'm familiar with the Angel label and it was only £1, so I believe my thinking at the time was, "why not".

Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

MartinT Guest

Hi Biff - that's a Melodiya (Russian) recording, see the logo top-right. The USSR Symphony were a very capable orchestra and Svetlanov's performances were usually excellent. Kondrashin is another of their conductors to look out for. That 10th should be a good performance and you'll benefit from the Angel (EMI) pressing.

Melodiya recordings were variable - some good and some awful. I bought a whole load of records when I was in Moscow many years ago and they're interesting but the pressing quality was generally not great. Mind you, they cost pennies.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The only way I can suggest Great Classical Recordings methodically, is to gradually go through my collection and pick out those I think might qualify. So still at the beginning of the alphabet and with J. S. Bach, I can recommend the following:

J. S. Bach – Goldberg Variations

Glen Gould, piano.
    1955, Sony 886 978 0606 2

This 1955 recording is regarded by many as the definitive recording of the Goldberg Variations. It is interesting to compare this recording with Gould’s later 1981 revisit. I prefer the earlier recording.

Another recording I enjoy is that by the Taiwanese pianist Chen Pi-Hsien, on Naxos.

1988, Naxos 8.550078

As chance would have it, this month’s BBC Music magazine comes with a recording of the Goldberg variations played by Freddy Kempf. A little more sombre and stately than either of the afore-mentioned recordings but interesting nonetheless and worth the £4.60 magazine price!

J. S. Bach – The 6 Cello Suites

Paul Tortelier, cello
    1961, EMI CMS 7 69434-2 (2 CD set)

Like the Goldberg Variations there are hundreds of recordings of the Cello Suites. I cannot say which is regarded as the definitive recording, if such exists, but I have no complaints about Tortelier’s interpretation. Would be interested in hearing Rostropovich playing these.

Another version I have on vinyl is that by Janos Starker:

In some ways I prefer this to that of Tortelier.

J. S. Bach – Concerto for Violin, Strings and Continuo BWV 1041 –1043

Simon Standage, Elizabeth Wilcock, violin. The English Consort, directed from the harpsichord by Trevor Pinnock.
    1983, Archiv (Polydor) 41 646-2

also:

Andrew Manze, Rachel Podger, violin. The Academy of Ancient Music, dir Andrew Manze.
    1997, Harmoni Mundi 907155

Both of these recordings use period instruments, but I prefer the version byThe English Consort: the astringent sound of period instruments that I appreciate is more apparent.
    Barry

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

I'm not sure if it qualifies as "great"; but, I'm enjoying it at the moment.

Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    Apparently, I was completely wrong, as I forgot I picked this up a while ago. I have no idea whether this is a good performance and or good pressing; but, I'm about to find out. I'm not at all familiar with the USSR Symphony. The vinyl is in excellent condition, I'm familiar with the Angel label and it was only £1, so I believe my thinking at the time was, "why not".

Biff- That's a wee treasure you have there. I have it also, along with three of four other Shosty Syms on Melodiya. Did you like it?
    Hear your music, not your speakers

MartinT Guest

Saint-Saëns Symphony No 3, San Francisco SO, Edo de Waart, Jean Guillou (organ) [cd]

This performance is a nice straightforward one, well played and enjoyable, if not quite as glowing as the Enrique Bátiz account with the LPO on ASV. The soundstage is typical Philips, a little distant but with good stage width and excellent depth - very much 'there' if you close your eyes. Of special note is the organ playing by the great Jean Guillou, who brings the instrument's part to greater attention than is the case in many recordings of this symphony. The sound quality is quite stunning and world class in respect of the organ. The Davies Symphony Hall features a Ruffatti organ of immense power and this recording has captured the lowest pedal notes to great effect. Rarely has my system produced subsonic vibrations of such power and pitch focus. Be warned: if your system does not have sizeable speakers you won't even hear what I'm talking about.

I'm Nigel.

Hi Martin,

Let us know how the live proms version tonight sounded like, bet that low organ sound shook a few body parts

Nigel

MartinT Guest

It was fan-bloody-tastic! I'll write it up in the classical concerts thread.

I'm Jack.

I'll throw out a few of my favorite recordings:

Beethoven, late quartets, Yale Quartet on LP, Cleveland Quartet on CD.

Debussy, Walter Gieseking (both vinyl and CD). A steal on one EMI 4-CD reissue. The sound is ASTONISHING mono.

Beethoven 6, Bruno Walter/Columbia SO, on SACD, LP, and, yes Cassette

Britten, Peter Grimes, Britten conducting

Copland, Appalachian Spring, Copland conducting

Copland, Fanfare for the Common Man, Bernstein

VPI / JMW arm, with Dynavector 20 (also Technics 1200mkII), Luxman 505u integrated, Marantz 8004 SACD/CD, TAD/Pioneer S-2EX speakers, GIK room treatments

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast