+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBook used in a Digital system

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Having looked at Audirvana plus, I am pretty sure this will be the digital music management system I will use initially and output it via usb to a DAC.

Now I wonder which DAC I am going to use?
    If it's not a Chord I'll be very surprised

I'm James.

I'm Ian.

I've recently moved from a Vortexbox to a Mac mini for digital stuff. I spent a while trying different software with the mini and ended up paying the fee for Audirvana. It has good management tools that make it easy to make the music server function the mini's main occupation but I presume you are not going to dedicate your mac to this job. Still, Audivarna is still a good sounding, easy to use music server. Only thing I miss from Vortexbox is integrated access to internet radio.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I've recently moved from a Vortexbox to a Mac mini for digital stuff. I spent a while trying different software with the mini and ended up paying the fee for Audirvana. It has good management tools that make it easy to make the music server function the mini's main occupation but I presume you are not going to dedicate your mac to this job. Still, Audivarna is still a good sounding, easy to use music server. Only thing I miss from Vortexbox is integrated access to internet radio.
    First step is Audirvana output to a DAC then probably ipeng on iPad used in conjunction with music server, ripper, NAS device output to a DAC. This will give me Internet radio and should also up the SQ for file based audio compared to MacBook and Audirvana.

I'm Neil.

First step is Audirvana output to a DAC then probably ipeng on iPad used in conjunction with music server, ripper, NAS device output to a DAC. This will give me Internet radio and should also up the SQ for file based audio compared to MacBook and Audirvana.
    ...it won't up the SQ.

If you are concerned about SQ, then what is way more important is that the DAC is galvanically isolated, and if you're using a USB to SPDIF converter, it's independently powered too. It doesn't matter whether I plug in my Macbook Pro, Media Server or ancient Netbook, it all sounds the same as it's all properly configured.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    ...it won't up the SQ.

If you are concerned about SQ, then what is way more important is that the DAC is galvanically isolated, and if you're using a USB to SPDIF converter, it's independently powered too. It doesn't matter whether I plug in my Macbook Pro, Media Server or ancient Netbook, it all sounds the same as it's all properly configured.
    DAC will be Chord Qutest which is galvanically isolated. I will use my Macbook pro either via USB or Toslink. Dont think either makes a difference unless I want to play DSD.

I'm Neil.

I have a feeling that USB would sound a tad more open than TOSLINK, only one way to find out. And yes it’s the older Hugo and 2Qute that were not isolated, a bad move!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm James.

Thought I would get the ball rolling with my digital system so downloaded Audirvana Trial version which will give me about 15 days free use of their latest version. Very easy indeed to set up on the Macbook and transferred all my iTunes library in an instant. Some of the features are quite sophisticated so I am exploring the different modes you can run this software in. DAC not arrived yet so listening via headphones straight off the Mac with Audirvana surpassing all the internal operating systems and optimising playback. Sounds superb, way better than iTunes, I may buy this software just for this reason alone!

DAC arriving next week for full integration and assessment in my system via either Macbook USB or Optical (I will assess both) and then maybe via a music server /ripper/NAS. I am hoping the Macbook will suffice as it will be considerably cheaper.

Audirvana certainly shows up the huge differences between MP3 and Redbook recordings. May try some 24bit and DSD stuff if I use a NAS. Must admit it is doing a wonderful job of civilising my digital material compared to what I have heard previously.

If it sounds this good straight off the Macbook, whats it going to sound like through the Chord Qutest into my system! Bloody hell I might be a digital convert!

I'm Gary.

Great stuff James, its good innit?
    All that and you still have the vinyl to enjoy too.

You have PM by the way.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Alan.

Bloody hell I might be a digital convert!
    The world is going to end, I know it

Jimbo a digital convert?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast