+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Roxy Music

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I agree, all of Roxy's output has merit, they only fall down a bit when compared to the early stuff. And over the years their sound became more refined and "radio friendly" and I don't mean that in a bad way.

1972 was the year I got started buying records. And that summer gave us "Silver Machine", "School's Out", "All The Young Dudes" and of Course "Virginia Plain". A good year I think. After buying "Virginia Plain", then "Pyjamarama" I skipped buying the first album and went to "For Your Pleasure", and that was it. The album that defined them for me.
    Sorry I have to disagree with ""For Your Pleasure", and that was it. The album that defined them", maybe for yourself, but certainly not for meow others I suspect. Yes "For Your Pleasure" is a stunning album in its own right and probably one of their best outings in some musical respects. However Stranded, Country Life, Manifesto and Flesh + Blood are all extremely good albums and there are many shining tracks on all of them that lots of people associate as being Roxy so I would say that these are probably the more defining albums for most.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good post Adrian.

I have all of Roxy Music's output and love them all for various reasons. Certainly their eponymous title was a stunning debut: new, fresh, exciting and different. How much of this was due to Brian Eno's contribution I don't know; but IMO Roxy Music did not 'go downhill' after Eno's departure.

Several of my friends who were unimpressed with Roxy's early career, think 'Avalon' to be a superb album.

It is all a matter of taste - myself I cannot stand Genesis, but that is something for another thread.
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Yeah, and you know if you were on a night out with them, Eno would be a good laugh and interesting, and would end up getting a bit wasted, while Ferry would be too busy trying to smarm his way into your bird's knickers. Or maybe that was just the seventies - they don't like being called birds any more
    I'll bet that is just so true.

I'm Shaun.

I noticed that Adrian commented on Ferry's distinctive vocals but they were no more distinctive than say David Sylvian ten years or so later or maybe Bowie's vocals at the same time as For Your Pleasure. Even Bolan at that time was remarkable for his voice as he was earlier with John's Children. Eno, at the time of Roxy's inception was doing something that hadn't been heard before. Manzanera played a guitar, Mackay played a sax, Thompson played drums. Eno did what..? He was so new and radical that the story goes they (the band) didn't even know what to put on the album cover so they titled him with 'synthesiser and tapes'. Together of course they were there when it mattered the most. I'm so glad I was too.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Earlier this week I traded some unwanted vinyl and in some of those I got was Roxy's 1st album, a 1st pressing NM copy. I know this and most of the Roxy Music albums pretty well having been a fan of them Phil Manzaneera, 801 and Brian Eno offerings since I was 14.

I remember very well my best friend turning up at my parents house clutching a cassette of Roxy Music 1st album, and enthusiastically saying you have to listen to this. I remember it completely took me by surprise and stunned me, there was nothing like it at the time, way ahead of many that followed. Of course Ferry's distinctive vocals had quite a bit to do with it, but it you listen carefully, not only does Eno contribute a lot, but Andy Mackay(Sax/Oboe), Paul Thompson(Drims), Graham Simpson(Bass), and of course Phil Manzanera(guitar) all contribute greatly to the whole to produce the Roxy sound. If you look at their history the core of the band Ferry, Manzaneera, Mackay and Thompson have remained constant, with a brief outage by Thompson 81-83.

Personally I think all their albums have their individual merits. Yes the first two are more distinct probably due to Eno's influence, however I know some here have criticised the later albums but I think sales figure of them says it all really, every later album I believe has charted high here in the UK. If you listen IMO you can hear Roxy Music evolve over time and become more sophisticated and probably due to having more money they have more time in recording studios to get it right and polished. That is not to say I do not think the first two albums are not great they are, they have an immediacy and punch that is compelling.

I think all the Roxy Music albums are good in their own right.
    last summer i found myself on the top floor room of a hotel with wonderful views overlooking a wonderful italian lake . next door was a very aged rocker called davy o`list . fascinating to chat to him . he played in roxy music before manzaneera replaced him . interesting chap
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Adrian.

Davy O’List OMG a great musician, he was in the Nice, did some classic albums, if you have not heard any of there stuff have a go. Try The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack. Emer is from Keith Emerson who hopefully you will know of.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

I stand by my opinion of them. I dip in for a few tracks but as an overall body of work I do think they are overrated.

I think we have bands like that...we may dip in for a few tracks but if you were to ask me to sum up everything I would just think a bit meh. Hard Rain was a reasonable cover but Dylan has done all the work there

Avalon... Dance away...oh yeah just make me cringe really so I absolutely did not like the way they were going. I dont really understand how people like that cheesy pop. I skipped through that BBC programme the other night and Ferry just comes over as a smarmy crooner.

So I do feel right in my opinion...some promise in the early days, some moments but nah...way overrated

I'm Clive.

Re Roxy Music being overrated; are they rated that highly except by their fans? I'd wager they're not generally thought of as being as famous as The Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, ELO, Black Sabbath, ELP, Dire Straits etc. Roxy Music had a few hit singles and Brian Ferry became a bit of a sex object so there are some who recall this but rated highly in general? Maybe they are high up on a list somewhere that I've not seen but most people wouldn't put them in a list of leading groups. I have much of their music and particularly appreciate their early music.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Neil.

I kind of feel the best thing about Roxy is the album covers, particularly, For Your Pleasure.

I have most of their music on CD and some on vinyl and I just don't get them. Someday I might, like one day I did get the doors, but I am rapidly running out of time to make that break through, maybe on my death bed I will suddenly rate them. Till then they are a band with some great album cover art, but music wise over rated.

Regards Neil

I'm joe.

This whole under-or over-rated thing is daft. There's no objective scale of good, better, best for music or any other creative art form, only a critical consensus, which will almost certainly change over time. If something stands the test of time, it's probably amongst the best (eg Mozart, Bach and Beethoven in music, Shakespeare in literature, Rembrandt in painting), but that still doesn't mean that everyone will, or should like it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast