+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: To subwoofer or not...?

I'm Shaun.

As already said we have slate over concrete here so no such problems. The Yamaha though has a forward firing driver with a left side port (left to the outward facing driver, right to me). The sound is now bloody excellent even on male/female vocals where the instruments take on much more depth and grandeur.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Best thing you can do with a downward firing sub is to sit it on top of a piece of granite like a large kitchen chopping surface, cost £5-£10 and makes a hell of a difference to having the sub on a carpeted wooden floor, worked a treat with the BK Gemini 2 I used to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What kind of difference did you experience Steve? I have an XLS200 DF on my second set up and it's on carpet.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dennis.

I am intermittently having some doubts and concerns about my speakers on vocals. Not on music so much, although it seems that much is close mic'ed, and hence prone to proximity bass boost, but on broadcast spoken word.

In my days at Bush speech was impeccably dealt with, the Beeb priding itself on that aspect of sound, but it is claimed that the Gundry dip sucked out some of the lower mid/upper bass, which could artificially improve intelligibility.

It all seems much more variable now on my acquisitions,, as does bass content, dynamics, and tone.
    An ex AVI man says that he has just listened to a pair of ADAMs, and that the upper bass was exaggerated, and voice poor on them, but they were current speakers which are not active.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    What kind of difference did you experience Steve? I have an XLS200 DF on my second set up and it's on carpet.
    The improvement was in overall control and tunefulness, bass lines were more taut and better defined and transients like kick drums were more solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

Well it's been a while now and I continue to be really amazed at the improvement the sub has had to the sound from my system. Yesterday I played an album by Kiasmos and the extra depth and emotion in the sound was bloody amazing. The album 'Older' by George Michael is just so much more than it was before. I have the sub set so that it just reproduces the lowest frequencies and at such a volume it doesn't intrude in negative ways on the high bass notes. I love the depth and ambience that it adds to the sound. Money very well spent as I got to keep the stunning midrange of the Spendors.

I'm Phil.

CCA, Sony TA FB940R, Spendor S3/5r2.
    Quad 306, Tisbury, Rega Apollo CD.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Well it's been a while now and I continue to be really amazed at the improvement the sub has had to the sound from my system. Yesterday I played an album by Kiasmos and the extra depth and emotion in the sound was bloody amazing. The album 'Older' by George Michael is just so much more than it was before. I have the sub set so that it just reproduces the lowest frequencies and at such a volume it doesn't intrude in negative ways on the high bass notes. I love the depth and ambience that it adds to the sound. Money very well spent as I got to keep the stunning midrange of the Spendors.
    Shaun, that is exactly how I feel about my Spendors so I must investigate the SUB route. My speakers only go down to 50-60Hz so a SUB would really make a difference i am sure.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Love a happy ending, makes you feel warm and fuzzy

I will just mention that if anyone within chucking distance of Chorley would like to try out a sub, they're more than welcome to borrow my BK XLS-200DF.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Alan.

I can bring my sub round for a trial if you like ...

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I can bring my sub round for a trial if you like ...
    When I get next chance i may take you up on this Alan
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast