+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in Black

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thanks Brian, I should like you say take into consideration all the other aspects you have mentioned but the night I heard it performing at its best was not noteworthy for anything special, just an average humidity and temp?
    Average heid too?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm openingabottleofwine.

2000 Hours - great, that means I am only half way through the life of this stylus and maybe I have hit the sweet spot but its all down hill from here!
    I wouldn't depend on it. Around 2,000 hours is the upper estimate. Ortofon suggest a figure of 1,000 hours as typical; but that is to be on the safe side.

Just keep an 'ear' on things, clean your records before and after play, as well as lightly cleaning the stylus with a squirrel hair brush after each play. I use a dry vibrating stylus cleaner once a week for about 10 seconds as part of a regular maintenance routine.
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I wouldn't depend on it. Around 2,000 hours is the upper estimate. Ortofon suggest a figure of 1,000 hours as typical; but that is to be on the safe side.

Just keep an 'ear' on things, clean your records before and after play, as well as lightly cleaning the stylus with a squirrel hair brush after each play. I use a dry vibrating stylus cleaner once a week for about 10 seconds as part of a regular maintenance routine.
    Barry, can I ask what your "dry vibrating stylus cleaner" is as I have never heard of one before you mentioned it?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Barry, can I ask what your "dry vibrating stylus cleaner" is as I have never heard of one before you mentioned it?
    I was probably being a bit too laconic in my description. The device I use is a Goldring Electronic Stylus Cleaner:

It is a battery-operated device which has a vibrating carbon-fibre pad on which the stylus to be cleaned is placed. The pad vibrates at about 500Hz (judging by the quiet 'whine' it makes in operation).

I used the term "dry" because whilst it is often recommended to use one drop of IPA on the vibrating pad, if the stylus is glued to the cantilever, the action of the solvent could damage the glued bond. (If the stylus is fitted to the cantilever with a cup, whose edges are swaged over, then use of a solvent will be OK. Check to see how the stylus is attached for your cartridge).

I'm not sure if the Goldring model is still available. Audio Technica also made one as well, which may still be available: https://revolutions33.co.uk/audio-te...cleaner-at637/

Another device is the Audiozomba sonic stylus cleaner:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254993505...Bk9SR5rMos71YA

which ostensibly looks, and operates, in a similar fashion to the other devices.
    Barry

I'm James.

looks a cool device.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

Great post Jim, I've seen a similar phenomen with my Ortofon Cadenza Black and my Ortofon Silver Mesiter Mk I SPU where you seem to get a "golden age" where the cartridge just seems to excel in every way shape and form, but, be warned, this only lasts for a while and then things go down hill and a new cart/retip is needed. I also own a Royal N & Silver Meister Mk 2 SPU and I've not seen this yet. Have you noticed how all these carts are ORTOFON? I wonder if this is just a phenomen to them?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

All cartridges take a while to 'run in' to achieve optimum performance - this is due to the breaking in of the compliant rubber suspension (though, no doubt, some might suggest it is also due to the 'burning in' of the coil windings). A typical figure is anywhere between 20 to 100 hours, so 1,000 hours seems to be an inordinately long time.

Andrew's suggestion that it might be something more intangible is a more likely explanation - an experience I have found to be true with most of my cartridges (regardless of electrodynamic configuration or stylus profile), or even with my system as a whole. Sometimes when the 'planets align', everything just gels together to give a highly enjoyable musical experience.

Enjoy it whilst you can - it's a capricious phenomenon.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-10-2022 at 22:16. Reason: correction
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Had a look at the Audiozomba stylus cleaner listing Barry linked to, and I must say she does look impressive. I might even provide tea and biscuits

I just need to check whether Ortofon's 2M Black stylus is glued.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

I'm James.

New 2M black stylus arrived today in new funky plastic container. This is quite a bit better than the old box it came in which just had the stylus loose. Installed tonight after 2 year run with last stylus and about 1200 hours.

New cartridge immediately sounds cleaner and more controlled. Quieter background and better tonal quality than the worn stylus. Notes seem to stop and start just that bit cleaner. Not that the old stylus was sounding poor but by comparison I can hear the deterioration. I keep my stylus and records ultra clean so 1200 hours was easily achievable but before it deteriorated into distortion and possible record ware I thought it was best to change.

Regarding running in, the only area I can hear that may benefit is the bass which is a tad light at the moment but only been running it for a couple of hours. Other than that it sounds wonderful. maybe a touch more 3D and lovely air and atmosphere now easily discernible in the recordings.

[IMG]96126B4E-E139-400D-B3FB-FCAF301E3F38 by Ja, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]D4D2E94E-EF31-441F-A226-616E4A479C2C by y, on Flickr[/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast