+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best subwoofer for Falcon LS3/5a?

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    Yes , but there is another critical variable and that is the room. DSP will help but its constrained by the room.

You have to be prepared to spend a lot of time tuning it to your system and the room.

Are you going with that Swedish one ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well, I have not decided yet how to proceed. What I am going to do is first measure the room with the help of a friend, who has the knowledge and the necessary equipment, in order to have an insight about the issues that need to be addressed. Then we will see how to deal with those issues and to see whether the candidate subwoofer can address my room's peculiarities with the help of its controls.

Focusing on music and not home theater, it's the quality of bass I am looking for and not quantity.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Graham.

have you thought about the Graham Audio Sub 3 designed for the Ls 3/5a.

Its passive so should be considered as an extension to your existing speaker rather than a sub. IMO, a well matched passive is a great option as the tricky matter of integration is solved for you and tonally it will match.

https://www.grahamaudio.co.uk/images/sub3_front.jpg
    https://www.grahamaudio.co.uk/products/sub3/

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    have you thought about the Graham Audio Sub 3 designed for the Ls 3/5a.

Its passive so should be considered as an extension to your existing speaker rather than a sub. IMO, a well matched passive is a great option as the tricky matter of integration is solved for you and tonally it will match.

https://www.grahamaudio.co.uk/images/sub3_front.jpg
    https://www.grahamaudio.co.uk/products/sub3/
    Hi Graham,

after quite some thought, I've decided to stay away from subwoofers that do not allow precise tuning in my listening room, which is rather complex in shape (see sketch).

ListeningRoom_FalconLS3:5a.jpg

That, together with the fact that I listen nearfield, makes the SUB3 or the AB1/AB2 options too much of a gamble for me for optimal results. This does not mean that those subs would not work work for others (with different requirements).

Thanks for the advice anyway.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Grant.

Subs can be difficult to integrate into Hifi systems, and are usually better in surround systems or an amp that at least has a sub out connection
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Christian.

Check our BK Electronics subs. Not the best know name but well respected in the industry. Made in the UK, direct sales model and used to produce models for REL to stock their badge on, their equivalent models are typically better value. I used to own the XXL400 and it was very good.

https://www.bkelec.com/

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedroog View Post
    Check our BK Electronics subs. Not the best know name but well respected in the industry. Made in the UK, direct sales model and used to produce models for REL to stock their badge on, their equivalent models are typically better value. I used to own the XXL400 and it was very good.

https://www.bkelec.com/
    They are very popular on other hifi forums. Supposed to be even better when you plug in one of those anti-mode boxes.

I'm Panos.

I cannot claim that I have experience on subwoofers. What I find appealing is the ability to control the settings of the sub from my couch via a mobile app. The SVS SB-3000 can do that. Any other similar candidates?

I'm Mel.

Yes the new version of the MJ Acustics can but really you do not need a sub with the Falcons. You asked if one can be used and I said my MJ worked well but also I do not use them together very often as the Falcon sound is what I enjoy. I have other speakers should I want a different sound.

I suggest you enjoy what you have and if it is not the sound you want look for a single box rather than try to mix speakers from different manufacturers. The fact there is no real consensus on a bass enhancement system for the ls3 should give the hint that one is really not needed or wanted by most users.

Mel
    Last edited by Cycleallday; 29-08-2019 at 11:09.

I'm Martin.

I like my Proac tablette 10 signature and rel stentor 3 combo, but I can integrate it easily.

I listen to a fair bit of music where those bottom 12 notes would disappear , even on none bassy tracks I think the Rel adds to the harmonics of the higher frequencies and is additive.

However if you cant integrate perfectly then you may well end up dissatisfied still, thats why l think you should look for subwoofers you can home demo , ideally for a week.

The SVS sub you mention gets good reviews but I notice a couple of folks saying they don’t think the 3000 is as musical as the 2000. With a small room and near field listening you might be better off with the smaller sub.

I'm Panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    I like my Proac tablette 10 signature and rel stentor 3 combo, but I can integrate it easily.

I listen to a fair bit of music where those bottom 12 notes would disappear , even on none bassy tracks I think the Rel adds to the harmonics of the higher frequencies and is additive.

However if you cant integrate perfectly then you may well end up dissatisfied still, thats why l think you should look for subwoofers you can home demo , ideally for a week.

The SVS sub you mention gets good reviews but I notice a couple of folks saying they don’t think the 3000 is as musical as the 2000. With a small room and near field listening you might be better off with the smaller sub.

Hi Martin,

I used to have an SB-2000 with my KEF LS50. They definitely improved the overall sound, but I was not sure about my ability to achieve optimal integration by listening. The SB-3000 can be parametrized on-the-fly from the listening position with the help of a mobile app, whereas the SB-2000 does not have that capability. And the SB-3000 also has more sophisticated settings.
    So, it's not the size of the sub that I am interested in, but the best possible integration.

The Dynaudio 18S has a similar mobile app like that of the SB-3000.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast